Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

KT-17 engine in a Deutz Allis 917

I am having some problems in getting the engine to run continuously. After starting, it will run about 45 to 75 seconds and then die (like I switched the key to the off position). Then I hear a clicking noise from under the instrument panel. I know that there is a circuit breaker located in there. I replaced the carburetor (a Walbro for the Kohler) but still have the same issue as described. When I purchased the tractor, it was set to run with the choke pulled out and would die if I pushed it in. I adjusted the carburetor to factory spec. and now I see why it was set-up with the choke always pulled out. I thought I had a fuel delivery issue but now I think it is more electrical. Any thoughts on helping to resolve this issue are appreciated.

If it will run with the choke on it is a fuel/air related problem not an electrical. Seeing as you changed carbs I would take a guess and say it is intake manifold gaskets or carb base gasket leaking vacuum.

Buy a spark tester from most any small engine dealer and place it in line on a spark plug. Start the engine and if you are losing fire, you will see it stop firing as it dies. But if this were a machine I was working on I'd do the following.. Remove the fuel tank and pull the rubber gromet from the bottom. Pour the fuel from it into a clean container and see if there is trash in it.Rinse the tank till no trash is left. Also check the screen in the gromet. Replace the fuel line and the inline filter. Install a new Fuel pump.. You could just replace the pump as it is likely your trouble but most times when the pump is bad, there is another problem that caused it. Doing the rest will only take half an hour and will help ensure the life of your new pump and carb..Good luck

I had the same problem with a CH18 engine in an Agco Allis. My tractor would run for less than a minute and then act like the key was shut off; the overload switch under the dash would drop out and the tractor would not restart until it reset. The electric guage would swing all the way to the negative position. I discovered smoke coming out from under the flywheel. I am in the process of replacing the stator; hope this is the problem. Bob in Kokomo