Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sears Tow behind tiller

EricD

Anyone ever seen one, ever used one? I am going to look at one tommorrow that has a non running 8hp. Not sure what to offer the man as he wants $150 b/o. Supposedly it's not all rusted away.

You have an independent power source to run tiller. You then can 'till at virtually any speed, which is a plus unless you alredy have a hydro. 8 HP would seem to be enough power

I had one of those. It was an 8hp with 42" tiller. Very heavy and well built. The Briggs is an easy rebuild. Sears.com still carries the tines for it. If it has the manual with it, it will have all the part numbers (except for the motor). I sold mine about a year ago because I began using a tiller / Powermax combination. You will have to alter your lift setup (whether 3-point or sleeve) to accomidate the slanted Sears 3-point set.

The older style were 3 point and I think the newer ones were sleeve hitch. Here are some pics. New style

Older 3 point style

The ones pictured had tecumsehs. Pretty pricey new but I don't know what a used one is worth. Good luck.

Thanks to all of you. Chris I really appreciate the pictures. Gretsch, do you recall what yours sold for?

It's value in a package I sold was ~$350. It was in very good mechanical shape and I had rebuilt the motor, carb, and repainted the tiller.

What are the width on those things? Looks like maybe 30-some inches. Could you get extentions to make them wider?

I have one of those. Had it mounted on the 725 until I scored my Simplicity Model W tiller which mounted right on the tractor. aIt worked ok, turned a little fast and the tines don't have the design of the Simplicity and Troybuilt tines, Bolo tines I think they are called, which work better then any others I've ever used. Haveing its own engine was a plus/minus deal, the plus being it was easy to vary the ground speed like Bob pointed out, the minus being having another engine to deal with and if I recall right the clutch was a pain in the.......But hey, it beats no tiller.

I checked today at my Sears Store and we had a 36' pull behind for $999.99. It had better till while I am napping for that price. The $150.00 sounds pretty good... lol