Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Shopping for New Tractor..Comparing Brands

SmilinSam

We have tried 3 different tractors now with Free Floating decks( decks that ride on the ground independent of the tractor). The first was the Cub Cadet 3204 with a 54" deck. Pluses: Has full length roller bar on it like Simplicity. Mows every bit as nice as Simplicity. Power steering, hydro lift, cruise control, two pedal foot control hydro. Rear front and center attachments available including a tiller and 3 point hitch. Shaft driven deck. Not bad. Negatives: Poor trade in value. Outrigger gauge wheels stick out in front on either side of deck. Might catch on something if not careful. Price: $5200 tax included 2 year interest free financing available. Dealer notes: Dealer was knowledgeable and down right zealous to help and work at dealing. Second was a Ingersol 316 with 48" deck This is not the hydraulic drive , this tractor is the same as those but this is a homeowners version that uses a true hydrostatic drive. No rear power attachments available on this. All you can use is a deck , front blade or Snowblower. MAnual steering, foot control hydro combination with lever for forward/reverse, cruise control, manual lift. This was the most basic tractor driven, but it was the tractor I was actually most impressed with really. I love the Hydro control system on it. A Lever for forward nuetral and reverse and a single pedal to make it go. Very Very smooth operation. Most comfortable tractor of the three tested. Also has a walk through design with no console between your legs but still retains the driveshaft drive to the tranny. 16hp Briggs vanguard horizontal shaft. Mower decks seems pretty decent. Deep deck, rides on wheels on each back corner like WHeel Horse. Mows good. Negatives: No rear power attachments available. Poorest financing available. Price: $4150 tax included. Price is a few hundred less if buying with the smaller 44" deck. Dealer notes: Dealer was knowledgeable helpful and willing to work at dealing. Tried a Simplicity ConQuest also priced with 50" deck. Manual lift, manual steering, dual pedal Hydro with Cruise control, Differential lock. Nice stable tractor. Rear attachments available. Smoother hydro than the Cub though not as smooth as the Ingersol. Only one of the three tractors tested that uses the standard 5 bolt rear rims. The other two are a 4 bolt design. Negatives: Financing could be better. Don't like the cuise control . Where as the other brands release with a tap of the pedal, this one needs to be either pushed off by hand or the reverse pedal fully depressed to disengage. Price: $4560 tax included. 12 months no interest available Prestige is $1000 more and adds Hydraulic lift, tilt wheel and maybe power steering( I forgot to ask if that was more$$) Dealer notes: Dealer(Agco) not all that knowledgable. Helpful to the extent of looking up things in the book. Did not seem willing to work at dealing . Only one that had one to test drive locally. I hate to test drive at one place and buy elsewhere, but I left this place not really wanting to buy there. I'd really like to try a Toro Wheel Horse 400xt series, but have not yet found a dealer that has any tractors. Will add more to this saga as it unfolds...

Sam, I thought awhile back I saw a post saying you were purchasing or wanted to purchase a new Massey Ferguson.If so I was wondering why you changed your mind. Thanks, Vinnie

I'll talk to the Massey dealer if the wife decides she wants to look at the Simplicity tractor more. Massey dealer did not have anything to look at yet, thats why we looked at a Agco dealer. Most all the Prestiges and Conquests are sold out in this area. I'm still prefer a horizontal shaft engine over the verticals used in the Simplcitys. Thats why we are looking at other brands.

Sam,What will the tractors jobs be??Are you just looking for something to cut grass or will it have other jobs? If you are just getting something to cut grass with I would look at commercial Z mowers...You will be amazed at how much less trimming you will have... Out of the three you mentioned though I think I would go with the Cub...

I watched Al Eden mow with a big Gravely Zero turn today. I was indeed amazed at how fast those things will run and cut. I mow ditches and can't use one though, and do prefer the versatility of a tractor. Deciding on what tractor is not going to be easy.

Well, I guess that means you got to see a Prestige and Conquest close-up also... I was quite impressed with how smooth the Prestige is, but then again, I'm used to "primitive foot-draggers"... ;)

Love my Prestige with the power steering your wife should try one. Heck she might even say I'll do the lawn, you do the laundry and the vacuuming. LOL

Aren't the Toro/Wheel Horse tractors also the same as the New Holland tractors? If so maybe there's one of those dealers in your area

The New Holland dealers don't even have any around here. One NEw Holland delear sells Simplicity , and the other doesn't even carry lawn equipment.

My guess is the Cub. But if you bleed Orange like most of the guys here do,for the extra $300.keep it Simple;)

I did finaly find a NEw Wheel Horse 419XT to inspect. What a dissappointmet.... Brittle plastic Hoods just like John Deere had, and a ankle busting foot control hydro pedal design. Not comfortable at all on your ankle. And if there was a cruise control, I didn't see it. It also had a electrically actuated hydraulic lift.Different.

1. So, is it Cub or Conquest? Or surprise us all with the Ingersoll? 2. Did the missus get to "test drive" her new tractor?

See this post for the answer to that question..... [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35346[/url]