Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7119 What to do.

kpswit

Last year bought a used 7119. rebuilt mower deck cuts great! Brock rear axle tube, rebuilt rear end with new tub. Tractor running great! Kt-19.5 was low on compression on one cylinder. Also burnt oil. Was waiting for winter to rebuilt but did not make it. Engine went over week end. Will not turn over. Question is to rebuild KT or do I look at one of the repower Kits. I do plan on keeping it for a long time. Do use it for plowing ,snow blowing ,leaf pick up,(have turbine kit) box blade,dozer blade ,disk, and shreder. Looking for opinion. Money is always a issue.

if you can rebuild it yourself (taking parts to machine shop as necessary) that will be the least inexpensive way. But of course you need to see the internals of engine to evaluate if a rebuild is possible. Kohler has a good manual on-line for rebuilding engines. i would suggest a repower kit, before taking to a shop for rebuilld. my opinions, based on a similar situation with a 7117h and sunstar 20. Sam

I have to say that I'm no fan of the KT engine. Not saying they don't work, But were it mine, I'd rather put money in a replacement engine than build a KT.

Our KT17 has been great. We think it probably has around 3500 hours on it, and we've never had to work on it. Sent it back to the dealer when it was new to have a seal changed in the transmission, and it took them ages to get it back . They put an old used crapy stator on it. The only time it was apart was to change the stator. We'd definately rebuild it when it goes. It sure is a powerful engine.

Whoa Nellie!! First thing is.... Is this a KT or a KT Series II ? If It's a first generation KT, I'd scrap it. If it's a KT Series II with the oil pump it may be worth saving.

I would repower it. We have had nothing but trouble with both the KT and The KT Series II Kohlers. We run them hard and do the mantiance on a reguler Hrs sch. The kohlers just don't stay toghter very well.We have had very good luck with the B&S Vangards.We have 4 of them now and two of them have over 700 hrs and no sign of any trouble. We service them every 60 to 75 hrs and go again.