Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs question/good tractor time!

skot71

A friend of mine's tractor is currently not running. When he hits the start button or key, the starter spins, but makes a grinding noise like the teeth aren't engaging. It's a Briggs I/C twin cylinder. Any ideas? I know nothing about these, but would like to help him out if I can. I haven't tried anything yet, so any advice would be appreciated. On the good side, I mowed his yard for him last night with my B-208. I went through some thick grass about 10-11" tall with no problems if I slowed down. 3 hours of tractor time with great weather while helping out a friend. Doesn't get much better..... Thanks in advance for any help.

Stop by a Briggs dealer for a new starter gear. should be less than 5 bucks. You don't even need to pull the starter to replace it. Just pull the blower housing and replace the starter gear.. Good luck..

I would like to add after the new gear is installed check to see how deep it is engaging the flywheel.Several of these motors I had to elongate the front mount bolt on the starter to obtain a deeper mesh of the two gears.If the gear is only making contact on the edges it will wear out prematurely.

Sometimes they split and it just spins. I don't like the plastic on those gears. My 0.02$ worth

I fixed one for my brother, if I rember right the gear rode on a spline with left handed acme type thread. when the starter turned it forced the gear upward to mesh with the flywheel. I too had problem with plastic gear to flywheel mesh/alignement.