Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

engine swap for HB-112

flebars

Hello everyone, first time posting. I would like to upgrade my current 12HP B&S Model 300421 Type 0127 to at least an 18HP but have no idea where to obtain the information necessary (excluding this forum of course). The local small engine guy told me that it would be trial and error with probably more error because Briggs won't give out the info. Feel free, if so inclined to email me with any links or help at northernlebars@sympatico.ca

I would recommend trying to find a single cylinder 16Hp B/S. In general these can be direct bolt-ins if the correct oil pan is used. I'm not sure, but I think the 12Hp pan will fit a 16Hp. You will need to stay with a one cylinder unless you want to do major frame and sheetmetal modifications. I think that both Maynard (UCD) and Kent have made that swap without much trouble. I have three tractors and none of them have the original engine. You can adapt nearly any engine to any chassis, but it will sometimes require some significant engineering to get things to work right. When I put the 14Hp Kohler in my 61 Wards(Simp 700) I had to move the grille 4 inches forward and raise the hood 3 inches. Tractor had to be rewired. New throttle cable had to be fabricated. Driveshaft adapter had to be fabricated. Gas tank had to be raised to feed the side-draft carb because it sat a lot higher than the updraft carb that was on the original B/S engine. I had to cut a new hole for the oil drain plug. There are many little things that have to be done, and neither B/S, nor Kohler, nor Simplicity, nor Allis Chalmers will have the information to complete the changes. You will need to either figure out the required changes yourself, or find someone who has already made the same change. You can also contact Al Eden, another club member who specializes in repowering kits for some of the tractors. Since I have done several engine swaps, please feel free to email or PM me if there is a specific question that I can help answer. At this point the question is still too general for me to be able to give more specific answers. I can help if you are going with a one cylinder B/S or Kohler of 16Hp or less. Don't know much about the newer engines. By-the-way, 16Hp is enough to do anything that you will attempt with that tractor. Sorry that I couldn't be more help.

If your intent on going bigger and havent spent the money yet, I cant tell by the numbers, but if that 12 hp you have now is synchro balanced, you can bore that block to 16 hp. :D No frame or body modifications whatsoever to go to 16 hp. ;)

I'd like to know if anyone really notices a difference with the extra horse power on these machines? I use the 9hp landlord verses the 12 and really the 9hp is quite a bronco. I noticed some difference in the hydrostatic verses the pulley systems. So I am curious if the extra horse power is necessary. If so maybe I should look for a 16hp.

I think most of it depends on use Mike. If going from 12 to 16 hp, and not changing deck, you won't get more done IMO. On a snowblower I think the hp advantage is much more useable. I think there is a reason the hydros were 12hp or bigger, 10hp was just not enough to do the job well. You could get away with a 12hp gearjammer w/48" deck, not so easy 12hp hydro w/48" deck.

The difference between 10Hp and 16HP is VERY noticeable when running the mower deck or the snowblower. The engine spends much less time "on the governor"... I ran my HB-210 (216?) hybrid with a 10 HP driving the Sundstrand and a 42" mower deck for a little while. It was noticeably underpowered, looking back, and stayed on the governor almost all the time the PTO was engaged. I put a 16HP in it, and now run a 48" mower deck. About the only time it kicks in the governor now is when I climb a very steep bank behind the barn while mowing... Similarly, I went from a 36" snowblower to a 42" snowblower, and the 16HP handles it better than the 10HP handled the 36".... I'd also like to point out that if you swap in a Vanguard twin, for example, you'll lose the front PTO shaft that drives the snowblower. You'd have to engineer a way to run it off the center PTO like the later 7100 series....

Wow, you guys are great. I was thinking in terms of days before getting any replies, not minutes. I must say that if I had not discovered this site during the time I was tractor browsing several years ago I would not have opted to purchase the tractor in question. It has done me well so far and I have several A/C implements to compliment it. One is the 36" snow-thrower that I would like to upgrade to a 42". Less passes down the driveway equals less snow in the face, something my kids find hilarious but when I'm freezing I can't see the humour in it. Now my main reason for wanting to upgrade the engine is so that i can acquire a Cyclone Rake. The commercial version requires a minimum 14HP engine. Although the Cyclone is only made for right hand discharge decks I figured that modifying that would be better than having to look for a tractor/mower just for the right-hand discharge. Also, thanks to this site I've got this bug that keeps on biting at me telling me to build that FEL. Kent, thanks for the pointer on the Vanguard as I was just looking at one on Ebay but did not realize the front PTO issue.

I think i would leave the 12hp in it and see how it pulls.If that don't cut the mustard then find yourself a 16hp.Them old 16's will pull just like a newer 20hp.;)