Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B10 grill trim in s.s....pics of them on tractor

DavidG

Back a couple of weeks a go I had a post asking if anyone would be interested in B10 grill trim made out of stainless. Well, I went ahead and had them made , got them on Wed. They came out great! They are identical to the original chromed ones except for being made out of 304 stainless.I haven't permanently attached them yet as I am still finishing the grill, but I did bolt them on to make sure they fit. (which they do). Here is a couple of quickly shot photos of the finished product. I will try to get some more photos this weekend of them mounted on the tractor.

The pictures make them look a little dull, but they are actually polished stainless, although not quite as shiny as the chrome . If anyone is interested, I have 4 pairs left at 50.00/pr I am selling them at what they cost me to get made. I may be able to get more if there is enough interest. Thanks Dave I installed these today along with the grill that i made. Everything lined up pretty good...........

GREAT looking tractor! Mint! I would not want to cut a single blade of grass with that beauty:)

Nice looking tractor . I have a B-1 Im restoring .Where did you get the grill fabric you made? Thats one thing I really need!

dbarhydt... I made the grill from a piece of sheet steel , perforated with 5/32" holes, and 1/16"thick. (not sure what gauge that is ..18?) It came from a scrapped out piece of equipment at work, but you could probably get this stuff from anyone that carries sheet metal. I had to resort to this because I couldn't find a decent grill for sale , or one that I could afford. And since my B10 was missing the grill, I had nothing but pictures of other peoples tractors to go on, and use as a reference to make it.

You have done an incredible job on that beauty! I like the tires, they make it look tough. I have to make a grill for my B10. How did you cut the hole for the shaft? Did you use a hole saw or side cutters to clip it out slowly?

Thanks. Yeah, I used a hole saw and then had to go back and hand file the rough spots. The hole saw works , but is difficult to use as it wants to grab and wander. I think it's because the metal is perforated. If i had thought of it sooner I would have borrowed a Greenlee hydraulic die set like they use to punch holes for conduit . It would have punched a nice clean hole and wouldn't have left the ragged edges that the hole saw did.

I used a board and it did help, but it's hard to drill a hole that big with a hand drill , and keep it steady.... I would have used my drill press, but i have to many projects (antique outboards, and small engines)crowded around it. By the time I got fed up and decided to clear out the space so i could use it, I was almost done anyway.

I didn't have to polish them at all. I just wiped them down with a Windex type cleaner.(removed fingerprints and oil). When I had them made, I requested the #3 finish on the metal , which is somewhat polished . Also.. the stainless that was used has a plastic film on it, that was left on while they were being stamped and bent. It peels off like a sticker when you are ready to mount them, and the metal underneath, essentially has never been touched. Also, the parts were stamped out with a die/press set up. They weren't cut or sheared, so there isn't any raggedy edges or burs. They probably could be buffed out with a polishing compound or rouge to look more like chrome , but I liked the slightly duller finish .

That is a beatiful tractor!!!!!When my tractor grows up, it wants to be just like yours! A job like that inspires me to try and restore mine. Beautiful!

That is a fine looking tractor!! You are doing a great job on that restoration.. Does the B10 use the same grille as the Simplicity 2010 and the 9hp Landlords??For some reason it looks different..If those peices would work on my Simplicity I might be intersested in a set

Thanks for the nice compliments guys. From pictures I have seen the grills are different. (b10 vs. landlord) But my grill isn't exactly like the originals either, as I had to make some guesses on its' dimensions, and use what material I could scrounge.

• 2 weeks later...
I have received two sets of these grille side trim and am very well pleased with them. The size,thickness,and shape match the originals very closely. The stainless steel does not shine as much as chrome plated steel,but in my opinion,they are acceptable in that regard,and they have the advantage in that stainless will not rust like the originals. David has done a first class job on these parts, and I thank him for making them available. Lewis

Lewis... I'm glad you got them ok, and you are happy with them. I'd like to see a picture of your B-10 wearing the new trim plates, if that's possible. Dave