Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tire information

ofcmark

Hi, I have a sunstar tractor it has the 23X10.5x 12 tires on the rear I was told the Optional tire was 26x12x12 is this correct information. I am also looking for a set on rear wheel weights Thanks Mark

Check the ebay listings for rear wheel weights. I see them frequently. Also check ebay for Rustybore's Tire Store. I've got some pretty good deals from him. I know he carries the 26x12x12 tires in both AG and turf treads. I personally have 23x10.5x12 AGs, 26x12x12 AGs, and 26x12x12 turfs, in addition to two sets of 23x8.5x12 turfs and two sets of 23x7.50x12. I have the 26x12x12 turf tires on this AC712S.

Also, as an inexpensive alternative to wheel weights, many of us "load" our rear tires with winter-mix windsheild washer fluid... If you'll search the archives, or look in the Tech Tips section, you can find more info on this method.

HI, I put the first 26/1200/12s on a Sun Star. My rep called me before our stock order meeting and told me they had two new tractors, an 18 and 20 hp for the meetings and that if I wanted them I could bring a trailer and take them home. I bought them sight unseen, having no idea what they would look or be like. The 20 was SN 7. I took them home and when I mowed with the 20, I knew it needed a set of our widened rims and the big terra tires. I widened the rims to 10.5 inches and put the tires on. Next I discovered that the 60" deck would "dig in" on the corners when turning into a bank. I bought a pair of rollers like a croquet ball for a JD 111 and made some brackets. Next I called the factory and told them I thought it was awful that they did such a good job on this unit with the exception of the tires and that this size tractor needed 26/12.00s. They told they had bought a pair of JD rims and the the 26/12.00s wouldn't clear the deck, I told them that I had a set running. They asked how and I told them I used 8 ply tires which stay flat and not belly up. Then we discussed the anti-scalp rollers. They sent a rep down and took some pics and in about 3 weeks the tires were available as were anti-scalp rollers for the deck. THE 26X12.00X12 TIRES WILL NOT WORK WITH THE 48" DECK!!!This is why I am so up on this company. They are so open. My 2 cents worth and its free, value accordingly. Al Eden

Al beat me to it. I have the 26x12x12 on one of mine and was about to caution you about the fact that they will not work with the 48" deck. The slides that maintain roller position will rub these tires. Al, the one thing I don't like about my 60" deck is that the clearance between the rollers and the deck housing is fairly tight, and on my soft ground if any debry at all gets cought in between and stops the roller, this monster heavy deck will plow a pretty wide furrow before you notice it. Great job on recomending the front rollers they do the job nicely. Other than that I love these machines.