Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Moldboard Plow Question

leeave96

Anyone ever seen a left hand moldboard plow for a garden tractor that fits to a sleeve hitch? I can only plow my garden in one direction and would like to swap from right to left each year. Thanks! Bill

I haven't....Why don't you just start from the otherside? Otherwise, I am only to the point of using the plow to break ground before the tiller. It does a great job pulling out roots. I am finding the hydrolift to be very valuable when using this tool. It was tough plowing, getting stuck, driving and lifting the plow to get unstuck. I am going to be setting up dual wheels and using chains to try to beat getting stuck. More weight too.

Liked to find one of those myself Bill, though kinda for a different use, I wanna make a rollover plow so I don't have to run empty one direction.

They make them MPH, although I do not know where to get one. My Grandpa called it a hillside plow. He used when he lived in Kentucky.

We had a horse-drawn one that you pulled a lever, and flipped the plowshare over, so you could plow in the other direction... never seen one for a tractor though...

Farmall Cub had a set of two way plows 1 right and one left. At end of furrow lift one turn around and lower other one.

There is a rear tine tiller called a BCS. My Dad has one that is about 20 years old. All gear drive transmission and his has a 10hp ACME engine. Great machine. One can remove the tiller and add accessories, in addition to rotating the handle bars 180 degrees. At the BCS web site, they show what they call a 'swivel plow'. The thing costs $399 - OUCH!!!!! I expect you could adapt it to fit a sleeve hitch. Here is the link and description. Couldn't get the graphic to post - perhaps someone could. http://www.bcs-america.com/accessory_details.cqs?prod_id=a11c27aee7f2a8d19546595adc8df1f0&prdtid=a11c27aee7f2a8d19546595adc8df1f0 Swivel Plow Facts Like two single bottom plows, the special swivel feature allows you to turn 180-degrees at the end of a row. Requires 12" tires and wheel weights. Fits Tractor models 830 and 850. Item No. Option Price 92190797 Swivel Plow 399.00 Thanks, Bill

Maynard, any idea if that plow for the Farmall Cubs is a 10 inch bottom or a 12 inch?, Not sure the 725 could handle a 12inch. Interesting on the one BCS has. I've looked at them on and off, they're a hagh class machine IMO. There is a 2 bottom roll-over plow sitting in Delta Jct Ak as a lawn decoroation in front of a hotel, except it flips over front to back, made by Moline, beastly looking old machine.

Marty Not sure but believe they are 12". They have a very long beam that mounted just in front of rear tires. To mount you flipped the draw bar from the rear and faced it forward. The front of the plows then bolted to the forward facing draw bar.They were 2 separate plows one right one left. both were raised or lowered separately by the mid mount hydraulic and rockshaft to the rear lift arm. When younger I got all the tractor time I wanted and some didn't on a Cub . I am sure you know how that was.

A good friend had a set up such as Maynard described on an Allis. It was a model, maybe 2 clicks bigger than a Cub, but still a nice size for smaller gardens. But I do believe they were way to much for our tractors.

i dont understand why you cant plow in both directions? In my younger days we use to plow the famliy farm every spring. Maybe Im wrong but we use to set "Lands" and work with "Dead furows"

If one can plow both direction in the same furrow you only wind up with one dead one on the end of the patch/garden plus you don't have the empty run time spent at the ends. Getting rid of the dead furrows with this garden tractor size equipment is more of a pain then with full size farm equipment, least anything I've tried so far.