Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bad news and Good news

EricD

The bad news first. I wasn't able to go to Colchester because I had to do lots of landscaping with the Mrs. Then, while going too fast and not being careful, I broke the transmission in my SS12. [img]/club2/attach/ericd/040716022250.JPG[/img] I went to see a guy about a "deal" I had for him because I had come into a few Suburbans and he likes and knows them very well (like many of our club members know Simplicity and AC). I figured I'd pick his brain about how to tell which one of my trannys would be a good donor for the one I broke and then see what he might be interested in from me. Turns out, he had this sitting in his front yard. He wasn't home but I decided I'd wait to see if he came back. While waiting I made a list of Sears stuff and other assorted things (shredder, leaf blower, wheel weights, two Suburbans, tires, rims, etc... I might use as partial payment towards the 2110. Here are the photos I took while waiting. [img]/club2/attach/ericd/040717041212.JPG[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ericd/040717041234.JPG[/img] I about 15 minutes he came home (in that time I watched three other people stop to look). His wife pointed me out and he drove the Simplicity across the street and did some demonstrations for me. He tells me he just put it out last night. I ask him the price and then mention my offer for the 2110. He counter offered and I agreed. I rushed away to load my trailer. When I returned to his house maybe 40 minutes later, he said two other people stopped, one offering to pay him 2,500. He stayed true to his deal with me and this is how the story ends. [img]/club2/attach/ericd/040717073620.JPG[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ericd/040717073644.JPG[/img] In chatting with him about my broken tranny, he said that chains are usually the culprit because they get too much traction and if the tires don't spin, the belt doesn't slip, something has to give. He pointed out that the 2110 had a replaced transaxle and one of his SS12's had a busted rear as a direct result of chains (in his opinion). Sounds plausible to me and I'll give chains up because the expense is not worth the effort. I don't think I'll ever use chains again unless ice demands it. Oh, and back to the title of this post, isn't it amazing how a broken transmission got me a great find? I'd of never gone to his house or even known about this 2110 if I didn't have a problem. So, the story ends a happy one. My wife is pleased with the mulching and the fact I got rid of sooo much stuff, I have way more room in the garage, I'm on my way to repairing the SS12, and I have a new rig to play with :D I'm starting to really believe in the power of my lucky loader mount recently aquired from Al Brown, without which I don't believe any of this would have been possible. :o) I just may have to bring it inside when the weather turns cold.:o):o)

Eric, Awsome deal!! :DSome us would kill for one loader!!:D And you end up with 2 very nice looking machines.

Glad to hear the other fellow had integrity, and did not sell the tractor from under your nose even though he could of gotten a better deal. Looks good.

I believe Eric now has "3 loaders". I recently saw one, but was too late to the deal... it was sold. $875 for a Sears SS15 with loader (tractor and loader).