Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

IT's Growing

MPH

Remember my 'backyard' project I been clearing and dragging trees and roots on for the past two years? Well,I seeded some barley and hairy Vetch in it about the end of May and heres what it looked like two weekends ago.

Well, half of its doing pretty good

Thinking the difference is whats doing the best is the part I had cleared the first year, more ashes and just more time outta the woods. Anybody know if you mow hairy vetch will it grow back? Just dieing to try out the sickle mower but I don't want to kill off the vetch as that dirt need all the nitro it can get feed.

Marty, Looks good!! Is this the project that started mainly as a fire break? And if so, is it at a fairly safe distance yet?

Marty, You can mow vetch -- we used to... It makes great hay for cattle, like clover, lespedeza or alfalfa. But, if it is really dry after cutting it, that really stresses it. As long as you're getting enough rain, it'll recover and grow back. But, be aware that it's those green leaves taking the nitrogen out of the air and sending it to the roots... so think twice before you cut them down....

Thanks for the knowledge Kent. Guess I best let it grow, it hasn't rained here since the first week of June, well, not enough to get anything wet anyhow. Yea Joe, thats my west front fire break. Heard last nite the fire is 1/4 mile from the river, our best bet natural fire break, which is wide enough to be a good break solong as we don't get a good north wind. Think that fire, the Porqupine Fire, has consumed about 200,000 acers now, over 3 millon state wide making it the 3rd worst fire year on record.so far.