Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
lndscpr

16 briggs. ohv vangaurd

lndscpr
i am looking at a 16hp ohv vanguard to repower a homelite t16. would it be a good motor for this purpose. the single cylinder briggs in it right now needs a lot of work.

rs07
The Briggs Vanguards are an excellent choice. They have been around awhile and have an excellent reputation. You could make it fit into your Homelite with some alterations being done. You may want to look into Al Edens Repowering website for more info. http://www.edensltd.com/repowereng/default.htm

PhanDad
John, I'd put one of these [img]/club2/attach/Phandad/Briggs_326431.jpg[/img] from http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=326431 into the Homelite. The things you'd need to do: 1) Remove the muffler and gas tank from the new engine 2) Move the S/G and starting relay from the old engine to the new engine 3) Move the old muffler to the new engine (or maybe just use the new muffler if it clears the hood; Taking off the old stuff wouldn't be easy) 4) Move the front electric PTO to the new engine Al's repowers are great, but since the T-16 already has a single cylinder Briggs with S/G, replacing it with another would be more cost effective and you avoid the issue of getting some type of front PTO fitted to the Briggs Vanguard or one of Al's repower options. The A/C built Homelites are pretty much useless without one. I don't think Al makes a kit to supply all parts required for a Homelite repower.

Dutch
I don't know much about Homelites or Vanguards, so consider that, but......... If the T-16 requires a front PTO clutch to power the deck, there may be a problem using a Vanguard. The Vanguard crankshaft may use DU bearings rather than ball bearings. The DU bearings may not be compatible with the side load of a PTO clutch.

Al
Hi, Thanks for the kind words. I don't have any good solutions for this application. I have been searching for an engine to replace the 32 cu in Briggs and the K series Kohlers. I bought a ch14 Kohler single hoping to use it for these applications. Bad choice, when tis was designed, it appears they took the CV14 and modified the block casting and the intake system and created a horizontal shaft. This engine is nearly 2/3 as wide at the base as it is tall. To put it in most older tractors would require cutting off both sides of the frame. This would take all of the strength away. [Also if you hauled it on a trailer you would need Wide Load signs on it.] It is sad that no one has seen the value of a horizontal shaft 16hp engine that could be adapted to replace both of these families of engines. I have had some discussions with some people at another engine company, regarding a new engine that was supposed to be coming. I was begging for some dimensions in this area. I talked to the project engineer and I was very happy at what I thought I might see. Since then the project has been killed. I am not at liberty to comment any further. I have been to several conferences to see if I could find maybe a Chinese engine that would meet EPA specs and work in this area. I see NO opportunities at the present time for anything but what is on the market and rebuilding what is out there. I have a number of Briggs twin blocks that I was going to junk. Now as I understand it from unoffical sources, [I may be wrong on this.] Briggs has or will soon quit making short blocks for all of the L head twins and the L head aluminum block singles. In addition the 28P series OHV singles are gone and there is no direct replacement for them. I have had several calls lately for them in the early series Regents. I currently have access to about 25 engines yet that will replace them with some mods. We are working on a kit to redo these Regents in the near future. The short blocks for the 19 cu in and 25 cu in 8 and 11 HP engines have been gone, except for the ones in the distribution pipeline. Maybe I will keep these blocks around for future needs. As I understand it short blocks are now available for the 32 cu in cast irom singles. [Ex.326000 family] Before the engines were killed for emissions short blocks were not available. Now they are. [According to current parts lists] They are made in China and as replacement parts are not under the EPA ban. We can provide the needed items for the driveshafts on the V twin Vangards, and the adaptor plates to raise the crank center lines. We DO NOT have a muffler at the present time to work in the 3400/7000 family that will meet the needs for this tractor and also meet the CPSC temp specs for the grille amd hood. On a related note: I do not recommend attempting to use a Kohler Command in a 3400 or 7000 family tractor. I have seen this done and SO MUCH has to be cut from the frame at the battery and gas tank, the frame will have to be reinforced. I am not saying it can't be done. I know a person doing it and I think had he not he bought the engine before measuring, he would have used another engine. When I get it figured out how to get them sized etc with my new computer set up I will post some pictures to show how major the cuts have to be. Sorry for the ramble, but I thought I would address several items related to this and to a number of e-mails I get about this stuff. Remember this is my 2 cents worth and its free, value accordingly. Good luck, Al Eden

lndscpr
thanks for the information. i will look into getting the existing motor running again. i think i can get the peices i need. was thinking i may have had a fast easy good cheap alternative in the ohv motor but that will not be the case when all is considered.

patrician12
Go with the 320000 series Briggs cast iron.It is a heavy super duty motor and roller bearings like the Kohler but doesn't throw rods.On this conversion a small 2" square may have to be taken out of the side of the frame for the oil drain.The governor system is great so engine damage never happens as long as it has oil in it.The only problem is the large 2 piece flo-jet carburetor.Every leaks or drips a little gas.A $5.00 fuel shutoff will cure this ill.I tell you this motor is indestructible!