Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SimpleMan

dozer mounting.

SimpleMan
Bought a homemade dozer blade on the weekend. Was on a 712 AC, but the owner designed the hitch of the dozer to bolt to the front of the tractor frame (instead of attaching to the axle). I will need to do some modifiying to make it fit my Sovereign. What I need is opinions...is it better to re-do the entire hitch and mount the dozer to the axle, or take the less drastic option and modifiy the hitch slightly, so it bolts onto the front of my frame. I am capable of both, and would like to know which (and why) any option would be preferred.

thedaddycat
I would make it fit like all the other implements do, hitched to the axle instead of the frame. That way you could use it on any other tractor without a problem. If you frame mount it, you can only use that plow with that tractor and will have no adaptability between tractors. That may not be a big deal right now, but in January when it's 8 degrees and that tractor decides to break something you can't just throw the plow on the back-up tractor if it's frame mounted.......

SimpleMan
Just to let you all know I am considering all suggestions. Also, here's a pic of how the dozer currently is designed. [img]/club2/attach/simpleman/HomemadeDozer.jpg[/img]

HubbardRA
Just do like I did with a Wheel Horse blade. A flat strap with two holes attached to axle on each side, a piece of angle iron welded between them, and weld the blade mount to that. This blade works on all of my tractors, 61 Wards, AC716H, and AC712S. Even uses the same lift rod. Blade mounts solid to the axle and uses the pivot on the original mount. No need to convert to axle pivot like factory used.