Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Alternator wiring

richp

I have an alternator That I want to mount on Briggs motor but want to know how to wire to voltage regulator. The reg has terminals I S F A and alternator has Bat and field. Which wires go where?

What kind of alternator are you mounting? If it is a GM mid seventies to mid eighties it will have a built in regulator. What is the application. We can go from here.

the vibration mite be much for the regulator unless you mount it in rubber if you do you will have to run a groung strap to it JJ

John, Rich is correct. It is a Ford alternator with an external voltage regulator. Four terminals, even on the solid state regulators. Two different wiring methods. I'm sending him the wiring schematics.

Your right. I tried two Generator regs with no luck. But then got one for alt. and no problems. (I think)

I once used an alternator, added a bridge rectifier to convert to dc current, and then used a generator regulator. It worked fine.

Thanks for the diagram Rod. I have it wired up like second drawing without stator. I put clamp on ampmeter around battery cable and at idle 1.5 amps. At half throttle, .92 amps. Engine off, zero. All at around 14 volts. Those numbers seem alright, don't they?

Ronald, PM me with your email address. File is too big for posting, and loses its readability if I try to reduce the file size.