Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
maxtorman1234

Kohler Balancing Gears

maxtorman1234
I know Kohler must have put them in their engines for some reason, but I'm wondering if they really do anything. I'm pretty sure the K241A, K301A and similar models with the different oil pans dont have them. I know the ones used in the allis;es do. My Case has a K301A, and I dont hear the rattle noises coming from it like I do with the ones in the Allis'es. These gears seem to be loose, And I've heard a few people say they think they're useless. So I was wondering, would it be safe to remove them? I think it would be ok, But I'm Just checking first, THanks,

Al
Hi, These engines are made both ways. The gears are put in to cancel vibration and they seem to work. If one overhauls one of these engines, the shafts should be checked carefully and the needle bearings replaced with the overhaul. I have seen these come loose when they get a lot of wear and they break a lot of things. I know a lot of people take them out. We don't. My 2 cents worth, its free, value accordingly. Al Eden

HubbardRA
I have heard that the balancing gears are only for user comfort and removing them is not detrimental to the engine. Everyone I know who runs Pro Stock pulling tractors takes them out when they build the engines. These engines turn 7500 rpm, so I guess the gears are not really needed to keep the engines together. By the way, when the take out the gears, they turn the pins around so that they stick out of the block on the ouside.

maxtorman1234
Great, thanks for the quick replys. I decided to take them out today. I found the bottom of the cylinder wall had a chunk out of it, so I;m guessing the engine threw a rod and was rebuilt. I dont think the gears were checked, as they are quite loose. When I was taking the gears out, I didn't think of simply pounding the pin inside, So I took the snap-rings off. Sure was a pain. Then I found the second gear wouldn't come out, So We took the pins out anyways, and turned them around. Tomorrow I can add oil when the gaskets are dry, and try it out. THanks for the help,

lndscpr
I just acquired a kohler 10 hp. complete motor except for rods and piston. (no balancing gear). Not too bad since it was free. It too is missing a chunk at the bottom of the cylinder and was wondering if it could be rebuilt. It looks like it threw a rod.

HubbardRA
The engine doesn't care if they are there or not. You may, because without them you may find your fingers, toes, and bottom are getting tingly and numb from the extra vibration that these gears eliminate. I have heard that they are there only for operator comfort.

maxtorman1234
I'm pretty sure my Case dosen't have them, but to me it dosent matter, becasue It dosent bother me when driving the case. I have been wanting to get them out, since it's one less thing to worry about, and might eliminate that rattle.

papamerkle
Here is the end result when a balance gear comes off the shaft:(.

There were a few nicks and dings inside motor. I had to touch up a few teeth on crank gear. When motor was put back together the balance gears were not installed in motor. Motor was broke in pulling a plow for a few hours^.

papamerkle
The pin that had balance gears on is still inside my motor. I can understand why pulling dudes knock pin out. One less thing to grab crank or rod. I don't turn that many revs like the pullers do.

maxtorman1234
I removed my pins anyways, It's easier to pound them out than fool around. I could not remove the upper gear without taking the pin out. I put them back in so they stick outside the block. I have a 12HP ready to try out that had the gears removed and a new rod, but nothing to put it in.