Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

maintenance questions

I just bought my first tractor; a 84 Simplicity 7117H as near as I can figure. What type of motor oil does it require (weight and detergent or nondetergent)? I got various answers from the local Kohler experts around town. One said the engine had a filter ;although I don't see one. Also how often to change the hydraulic oil and filter? I notice all linkages are dry; should I oil them or would that attract dirt? Any info would be appreciated. Jim

Well, I always use S.A.E. 30 on all of my moters and they havent gone bad yet; including garden tractors. What brand I use is Cenex Golden-D which has deterget. I like it alot because it does a very good job at keeping the dirt airborn! Tell me what you think or if you have anymore questions!

I have always used 30 HD Havoline in all the vehicles, tractors, cars and trucks that I have owned. I haven't had any problems over the years that my machinery has been in use.

I think S.A.E. 30 is recommended for summer and S.A.E. 5W - 20 for winter. Any good brand should work as long as you keep it clean and topped off. I use the B&S S.A.E. 30W oil for 4-cycle air-cooled engines in my B&S 4-cycle air-cooled engines. Tim

Since the engine oil has been answered (no filter on the Kohler KT 17)- we change the hydro filter once a year and top it off during a service check. It would not be a bad idea to change the hydro oil at this point so you know where you are starting from but it is not necessary to change it anually - maybe every 5 or 10 years or drain some and if it looks "milky" then change the whole thing. If linkages are working smoothly then lube is not necessary. I use CRC/WD-40 on pivots and moly grease on the roller cam/slot and on the control lever slot to help it slide easier and allow a smoother control.