Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dratkinson

Car alternator add-on, another question.

dratkinson
Richp has a current post about adding a car alternator to replace his mouse-eaten alternator. This question, while similiar, may be different enough to warrant a separate topic. My question is this: I have a pull-start-only 10 HP vertical B&S, I do not have a battery or the flywheel to support an electric starter or internal alternator--is it possible to add a car alternator to this engine so I can run lights while I'm blowing snow after dark? What alternator should I use? In the replys to richp, I read about the battery being required to govern the voltage regulator, and I don't have a battery. Should the alternator be connected to an additional pulley that I would add to the engine drive shaft, or is it possible to add a pulley above the recoil starter? Is the direction of alternator rotation a significant issue? Sinc I was not planning to use anything but electric lights on this mower, would I be better off trying to adapt a small battery to run some LED headlights I was thinking of building? Thank you in advance. /r David

richp
That motor should have an alternator. Is there a bracket with two wires and a fuse holder sticking out the side. If so, one wire is for dc charging and one for lights without battery.

debalko
I doubt that you will get sufficient light output to see beyond the hood with liquid crystals. I have only seen them used as brakes or running lites in which you are looking straight on to it. A $15 battery with one 12V hood mounted headlight would do the trick for a number of hours. If you are removing snow longer than that you probably need to stop to warm up anyway.

HubbardRA
David, You can run an alternator from any pulley that you can mount that will turn the alternator fast enough. Pulley should be at least as large as the crankshaft pulley on the car that the alternator came off of. You have to use a battery with an alternator. Battery voltage is required to turn on most alternators. In other words the field coils must get power from the battery to make the alternator charge. The battery is also the storage tank for the electricity and evens out the rough electrical fluctuations that come from the alternator. Alternators themselves do not put out a perfect DC signal. They need the voltage regulator and the battery to filter the noise out before the electricity is provided to lights and motors.

HubbardRA
Maxwell, Nearly any car alternator will charge at a higher rate than a standard garden tractor system. The starter-generators only charge at around 10 amps, while the smaller automotive alternators will usually charge at 40 amps or more. Kohler (under flywheel) alternators ran anywhere from 3 amps to 30 amps depending on application.

JJ MARSHALL
about 1972 or 1973 GM came out with an altenator that had the regulator build in. later someone came out with a replacement regulator for this type alternator so it could beused. on equipment and farm tractors you could put this regulator in the alternator and you only had to run 1 wire to the battery < a 1 wire system > jj without changing the regulator you could still wire this alternator with only 2 wires. jj

Agricola
I like the idea about the bicycle generator. That would "put some light on the subject". What are the numbers off the engine. I would think a 10hp would have an alternator built in it. As for the LED lights, they are being used in flashlights and other light sources. They have very, very little current draw. There is an article in a recent Popular Science about making a super flashlight out of them. The Popular Science I am referring to is July 2004, Page 92

richp
In the briggs repair manual, it says the a/c volt output needs a certain watt bulb to shine well. Like magneto, the more rpm's the brighter. The manual says it is designed to run lights stand alone.

dratkinson
My B&S engines numbers are: Model: 28B702 Type: 1001-E1 Code: 990901ZO The suggestion about the bicycle dynamo caused me to remember that at one time I saw some plans to build a permanent magnet AC generator using a small induction motor. The rotor had been machined with slots to hold some permanent magnets. It was suppose to generate 100v AC. But I don't remember where I saw the plans. I've also recently found an article that says Harley Davison uses a permanent magnet AC generator. The article showed how to adapt it so it was powered by 3.5 HP gas engine. Perhaps this could also be a solution. Anyway, I'm still looking at ideas a do appreciate all the input. /r David

bigcountry
I know a guy here that took a 5 horse Honda and one of those small GM alternators and made a generator for his john boat to power the flounder gigging lights. He says he can run almost the whole night on a tank of gas, and it's so quiet that it doesn't disturb the flounder under the boat on the sand. He also took another 5 horse Honda, and took an old industrial fan blade, put a frame around it, and he uses that to move his boat around when he doesn't want to use the Johnson 20hp, so he doesn't disturb the fish he's after.