Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What's a "bgb"?

WITom

I've seen the term mentioned on a few posts now. Usually, if I put my giant sixth-grade-educated brain to it, I can figure these terms out. But this one has me stumped! Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks! Tom

The real question, which I could figure out by testing a bgb, is how many turns the drive shaft makes to the 90 degree conversion on both sides of the BGB. I would guess these are 1 to 1, but they may not be. If so then the RPM's off these Briggs engines (or other?) would be the same at the PTO/drivetrain pulleys. The bonus question would be to figure out what the RPM's of the lawn decks and tillers end up with. I did test that the 1690039 tiller takes 10.5 turns to turn the tines one time. Anyone know these answers?

The bgb is right behind the shifter lever with the drive pulley coming out the side where the pull rope attachs to it. Hope this helps.

Beegee "A" was Barry.8D Beegee "B" must be a quick way to refer to Maurice and Robin, since they were twins.8D8D That would make Andy Beegee "C". 8D That's debatable, though, because he was never officially a Beegee.

Could a HiLo unit be installed on a 7117? Or would a variable pulley system work? Would really be nice to have different ranges .

Michael, I think, from previous figures that I was given, that the tiller should be geared down about 18:1 from the engine.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Michael, I think, from previous figures that I was given, that the tiller should be geared down about 18:1 from the engine.
Rodney, thanks. My 3012 has the tiller still attached, so I should be able to test that number. It's just a time thing. Too many tractors, not enough time.

Ron, there were versions of the later model tractors (at least the 7000 series, and I think the 7100 series) called "6-speeds" that used a different type of "high-low" setup with two sets of pulleys and two belts. Michael, that's a pic of the high-low on my Big Ten from when I was putting it together from different parts tractors...

quote:
Originally posted by hufhouse
Beegee "A" was Barry.8D Beegee "B" must be a quick way to refer to Maurice and Robin, since they were twins.8D8D That would make Andy Beegee "C". 8D That's debatable, though, because he was never officially a Beegee.
Uuuuuhhhh, maybe next time, try breakin' the Zoloft in half, huh huffie? ;) Tacey

I have wondered myself sometimes what these abbreviations are. At the risk of sounding stupid, I held out until I figured out what a "foot dragger" was. Maybe us rookies need a glossary.While you're talking tiller ratios, the older ones are differant than newer. Not just the belt input, but inside the tiller case. You can get a lot done in a hurry if you put old yellow tiller on AC 700 series tractor, my guess is the parts would fly as far as the dirt if I kept going.

Heck I'm just getting the hang of it. Bgb= Bevel gear box 23d= Briggs & Stratton 243431? Fdt= Foot draggin tractor Some of them:)

I thought 23D = 23D, there is also a 23FD (Flange Bearing). The numbers all mean something, there are websites which explain the numbers.

quote:
Originally posted by 10HorseMan 23d= Briggs & Stratton 243431?
Try again. 23D=23D. Updated 19D with more power. 243431= completely dif. engine. Same mounting specs but a whole new design from the D series. However you do get a :) for the effort. :p