Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

repolarize flywheel?

pabuckrub

I just got finished putting my motor back together (briggs 10 hp on a landlord 101). I put a magnetron ignigion in there to replace the good old points and now it wont start. There's good spark and it's getting gas. I read somewhere else on here that the flywheel has to be repolarized in order to do this conversion. Anyone have any idea what is involved in this and where I can get it done? I saw somthing posted on the main website in a story that someone sent in and he had it done for the same reason but didn't say where. He said to e-mail him with any questions but... NO e-mail address that I could find... figures. I spent a lot of time and money on this engine and it is A-OK and ready to go except for this issue. I hope someone can help me out here. Thanks! Dave

You can either send the flywheel into Briggs and they will repolarize it for you or you can buy one of these little units. This is a solid state ignition module and replaces the points and condensor and you don`t need to have the flywheel repolarized. I have had one of these units on one of my tractors now for 3 years and haven`t had any problems. here`s one on ebay forsale http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50371&item=4314230213&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW .

Dave, Go to the resources>links>engine information. I put the re-polarize info in there. You have to be a member to access it though. You can call B&S from their website and a techincian will give you the instructions. They used to pay for the return shipping of the flywheel and the service is free. You may want to check your flywheel key for partial shearing which can through the timing off enough for a no start condition. Spark will be weak and timing will be wrong without correct magnet polarity using the Magnatron. You can search the archives for numerous discussions about Magnatrons. Tom(PK)