Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Old Lanlord

Ryan

Dragged this out of an old barn yesterday. Took about a hour to clear junk to be able to get to her. Still has original tires, tight BGB and has a rebuilt generator on it. Head lights work too. I also got a cub cadet tiller with it, all for $125.00. Sold the tiller when I got home for $125.00. I had to replace the gas tank and clean the points, put a battery and gas in her and she came to life. Spit and sputtered for a couple of minutes and purred like a kitten. She has the 23D engine. Not sure on a year yet.

Great find! The landlord I purchased was $100, didn't turn over, came with nothing, had a bad 3rd gear and still does. Got her running, but she smokes. Bought a $50 junker, sold more than $50 in the parts so now I've got a transmission. I've still got to do the swap. Based on the work I've got to do, I'd say you're ahead on your find. And you got the original lights. I put some $5 lights on mine because the light bar was there and she sits in a garage. I can say I only spent $100 on her, but so far I have more sweat equity in her.

Oh yeah, not to mention that a hornet flew into my ear and stung me about three time before it went on its way. Half of my head was numb for the rest of the day. Feels fine today though.

I think I am going to put a 13hp engine in it and use it for my little monster tractor and kind of retire my B-110 for shows and such. The B-110 is so much fun to use. I think I am going to sell my B-212 now, I am getting tired of the vari-speed systems.

Ryan, If the 13 Hp engine interferes with the hood like the 14 Hp Kohler did on my 61 Wards, you can make new grille mounting brackets that bolt on and then the grille bolts to them. I raised mine three inches. I also bolted a plate into the rear of the hood to raise the back equally to the front. That way you don't have to cut any of this precious sheet metal. Just used existing bolt holes. Brackets were from steel sheet about 1/8" thick (don't know the gauge - came out of junk pile).

As for the year, if it has a black dash it's a 64. As far as I know that is the only year they did that. If I'm wrong I'm sure Kirk will straighten me right out!! lol Or who ever gets to it first. Elon

This thread is an example of what people were talking about in Micheals post about "parts drying up". Here is an excellent example of diamonds in the rough just waiting to be discovered and dusted off. I'm glad it runs good for you and the BGB is tight. I hope the transaxle is in similar shape. Pretty good "free" tractor if you don't calculate your pain, efforts, and wheeling and dealing time (I never do, that's part of my tractoring fun). Congrats again.

Did some research and she is a 1964 Lanlord. It is really funny when you get stung and you want to run from the pain, like you can leave it behind. Oh well, the pain was worth it. I really like her. I did sell my B-212 today to my uncle. I converted him from WheelHorse to AC as for as garden tractors go. He has always be an AC tractor guy.

Elon, I believe the black dash was on the 1963 Landlord. The 9 horse Briggs 23D engne was used in the first Landlords. The information is somewhat conflicting as you'll see below... The 1963 flier listed here shows no Landlord for that year. http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1963/new_in_1963.htm The data table from the Made When page shows the 990308/314 being produced in 1963.... http://www.simpletractors.com/made_when/1957-1964.htm So maybe some were made in 1963 and then again maybe not.... Either way, they went to the white dash after the first batch.......

Now I am kind of confused. I went by the black dash from the 1964 line up. I did not see any lanlords in the 1963 line up. I did however see a lanlord for 1963 in the made when. It is a 990314. So from the made when page it is a 1963. Which is correct?

This little Lanlord is a tough, working machine. Changed the oil, pumped about 4 qts of gear oil in the tranny, filled the BGB and put her to work yesterday clearing junk from a property. I also put chains on her. I am kind of afraid to put wheel weights on her for the fear of breaking something. It pulled an old chevy 235 with standard tranny across the ground for about 50 yards, pulled 2 old junk mowers out of the ground, pulled 2 Dana 60 rearends(not at the same time), without tires, out of the ground and a hood with about 500 pounds of junk on it for about 50 yards. I was thinking about selling her. Not now, she has a home here with me for a long time to come. I cannot believe how much I like, I mean love this little girl. I forgot to mention in my earlier posts that this tractor had been sitting in the barn sinse 1983. He missed out on a good little tractor. He bought it at an auction and never did anything with it.

quote:
Originally posted by Ryan
Now I am kind of confused. I went by the black dash from the 1964 line up. I did not see any lanlords in the 1963 line up. I did however see a lanlord for 1963 in the made when. It is a 990314. So from the made when page it is a 1963. Which is correct?
Good question, I thought my Landlord was a '63 based on the mfg#. I've got the black dash.

Well my Lanlord had a gender change today. He is no longer a girl, his name is Ivan }:), as in Ivan the Terrible. Here are some pictures of the junk I pulled out and loaded with Ivan. The guy in the background is a friend fron Athens, Ohio.

I am pretty amazed too. Where are you taking all that junk? I see you basiclly got a free tractor since you sold the tiller.

Looks a lot like my Landlord 101 when I first got it home, it was a free-be. But after rewoking the bgb, new voltage regulator, paint, seat, gas tank i just use it as a back up tractor and this week it was used for just that. My regular tractor was down for repairs and the 101 mowed about 15 acers a week like a champ. The last thing the 101 need is a set of rings and after useing it these week i think it made me more than enought for the cost of the ring set. Looks like you will have as much fun as me with the old ones...

I am taking the junk to a recycler. I only get $100.00 per ton. It is time to get the big equipment out to finish cleaning this place up. I could spend a year cleaning this place up and not make a dent in it. I am cleaning this up for a guy.