Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

More Tool Trivia! (An easy one first)

Fred

OK, tool men, what's the common, colloquial name for a pliers that looks like an adjustable 'water-pump' pliers, but has rounded jaws lined with thick smooth plastic inserts?
(Kent, if you want to win, ask Mrs. Thomas. I'll bet she knows!)
Tool-poor Fred

ok mr. Bob Vila we give what? CLENCH WRENCH!! Fred, You prob have every tool that a famous Kenosha, Wisc. Co. makes!! another trivia question, what is the name of this Co.? dlcentral

I have very little Snap-On (which I named below); can't afford them! Being an electronics weenie, I do have a lot of specialized tools but most of my chrome stuff is 'Crafty'.

Fred, I have an old 15" adjustable wrench stamped "Diamond Caulk Horseshoe Co." That was there original name. Know any thing about the brand PEXTO. Have a hammer and several wrenches stamped PEXTO and made in USA. Tim

Ok now, who knows what the >Bingham-Herbrand Corp. made in the line of tools? And where were they located or still are?-->jackl<->happyjack<-

They have made sheet metal machinery for years. I suspect your tools were from some machine's tool kit. I think they're part of Roper Whitney now.
Fred

It sounds like a 'punch-down' tool, or whatever the proper name is. For terminating phone line wires to a panel.

No, it's not a punch down tool or a crimper. Got to be a phone man out there some where. no switch tech. would be with out one in his shirt pocket. I guess we'll just have to prob this question alittle more.Tim

It's known as a "Cannon plug pliers", used to loosen/tighten Mil-Spec electrical connectors.
A stroll through my tool boxes is really a trip to "what the heck is that for?" Strange guy, strange tools.

After rereading your description, the hook end sounds like the tool to pop the number window out of a phone. What the other end is for and what it's called, I have no clue. Am I even warm? Probably not, since you refer to it as a switch tech's tool, not an installer's.

It's about the size of a pencil and made of plastic. A wire sticks out of one end and is bent over 90 degrees to form a hook. The other end is flatten and has a grove in the end and one on the side. What the heck is it. Any Bell Heads out there. Tim

I know what a spudger is, I just have never been close enough to "Ma" to know what her spudger looks like.

Fred, That's a good guess but not right. I gave you half the name in the last message. It's called a spudger prob. Every switch tech carried one in their pocket. It was used mostly when working on the wiring side of an equipment bay to prob in among the wires when trouble shooting the equipment. Probably have to be an old Bell Head like me to know about them.