Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starter Generator...how HOT ?

RayH

The starter generator on my B212 seems to be really hot...I dont remember this thing being this hot last summer...you cannot put your hand on it but for a few seconds. The unit has fairly new bearings, and armeture. Anyone else find their starter generator running hot, ideas ? Thanks Ray

I haven't laid my hand on the starter generators on my large frame tractors in quite a while, but I did on the small frame tractors and they are just as you describe. They get hot but keep on working. No real way to dissipate the heat generated. They're sealed and have no cooling fins so I wouldn't worry.

if the s/g is over charging they can hot very hot. if regulator can not control the output. JJ

I'm not sure what the running temp. is, but i know they are supposed to get pretty warm when in use. I remember reading quite a few other posts about this.