Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis Paint Codes

Tuffy

Good question. I've seen many answers (search this site), but I still haven't gotten the best info on this. I am using Dupicolor Chevy Orange-Red engine paint on all my implements which are simplicity; $3.5 a can. I just bought a can of Wimpleton White ($3 a can) which I think is close to the cream, I need to test that. I am buying various yellows, but I've not ordered the one I was told is correct (Vansickle? I think - all due to time). Hopefully this post will generate some conclusions and good responses. I'm listening.

As for the cream colored paint, I use Navajo White from True Value. Check out the pictures of my AC712S in the post about the 3415 seat stops. The paint looks so deep and creamy that one of my kids said it looked like ice cream that he wanted to lick off the wheels. The orange on that tractor is also Chevy Engine orange, and yes it was painted with spray cans. Only trouble is that I have bought rattlecans of three different brands and got three different colors. I painted that tractor, then the place where I bought the paint switched brands. I have a few touch-ups to do but no paint that matches exactly. I guess next time I should just but a case and keep the extra cans in stock for touch ups.

If you are talking Lawn & Garden, Persian Orange was not used on them. There are 2 Persians, but Corporate Orange is used on L&G. Many companies offer oranges, be wary of the shade you get, many variances. Both the orange, and cream are still available through AGCO dealers. I have been using paint from Fleet Farm, their own label. I am quite satisfied with the shade of orange. I have been using PPG reducers, hardeners, and clear coat with their paint. Rust-oleum makes an Antique White (#7794) that is very close to cream used. I have been dealing with Vansickle to try to match yellows. So far a time consuming back and forth venture. I am still having doubts as to when AC switched to newest yellow ( about 200 series?). One drawback I see in their paint is alkyd enamel, slower dry time.

Oops, I forgot to mention, Fleet Farm paint I am using in quarts and gallons. The spray cans I didn't care for shade of orange.

Ace Hardware sells an "Allis Chalmers Orange" in a spray can. And for the off-white, I just use their "Almond" spray paint. To me, both look good on my working mower. /r David

Below is a list of colors which have been posted in this topic. Now are we only talking Simplicity colors or is the "off-white/almond" color the same for both Simplicity and Allis Chalmers? On this website, UCD(Maynard) pointed us to the Allis Chalmers paint page with paint color codes, but do we have something for Simplicity? Isn't there a difference in the shade of Orange on Simplicity over the years? Does anyone in the club think we can develop a comprehensive page of colors for both the Simplicity and Allis Chalmers machines? My goal would be to find the best price we can for these colors in both Spray cans and quarts of paint. I haven't gotten a sprayer yet, but I hope to one day. THE ORANGE COLORS AGCO dealers "orange" Ace Hardware "Allis Chalmers Orange" Dupicolor "Chevy Orange-Red engine paint" THE WHITE COLORS AGCO dealers "cream" RUSTOLEUM "Canvas White" Ace Hardware "Almond" True Value "Navajo White" ??? "Wimpleton White"

If you are looking for paint to spray from a gun I used a 1976 Corrvette orange. It turned out to be a very close match.

Perhaps we should list years for both Simplicity and Allis Chalmers, then break down the models to list various color changes. I need to know what colors for a 63/64-Landlord, 63/64-B10, 3012, B112, 725, and Wonderboy. I intend to restore these, definitely not as detailed as I see some people do.

After trying a lot of colors myself, I think the best I have seen for orange is the Farm and Fleet Allis orange from the can, for the cream I use rustoleum Canvas White, and for the Yellows I have them custom mixed according to what the tractor originally was. The yellows switched from pale, to bright, then back to pale thoughout the years.