Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-208/Broadmoor photos? Help!

skot71

My wife and 13 yr. old son mowed the yard with my B-208. Adam (my son) said that right at the end of mowing, "something" was smoking a little underneath by or on the mower deck. After I got home from work, I pushed the tractor out of the shed to check things. The belt seemed too tight, even when the PTO was disengaged. I took the deck off, checked the belt, and reassembled everything. It just seemed to me like the deck was too far back, tightening the belt, but I couldn't figure out why it did this all of a sudden. After putting everything away and going inside for a while, I think I may have figured out what happened. I moved a pile of dirt with my blade a few days ago. I might have gotten a little overzealous having too much fun!:D I haven't been out to the shed to check things, but I think I bent something on the front axle, either the axle itself, or the tabs that are welded to the bottom of it where both the blade and deck mount. This would explain why the deck seems to be too far back. I'm hoping I can "massage" everything back to where it started. Would anyone have a side view photo of how these tabs should be? That way I'd know how far to move them back. Obviously, I'll take it easy with the blade from now on. Thanks in advance for any help you all might send my way. Skot

Clyde, thanks so much for taking the time to take the photo! Now I just need to see if I can get it straightened out. Thanks again, Scott

Hey Scott, if buy some chance you caint straighten the mounts out, I have a frame. Its from a 64-65 Broadmoor. The paint isn't the best "gold color" but im sure you would paint it yellow anyway. Im not sure if your planning on going to the big show in Ney York, But I will be going. If you need it I could bring it with me. Even if your not attending, there mite be somone neer you who is. Let me know either way. If you want to see a picture let me know as well. Elon

Scott, I can set you up with a Broadmoor frame if you desire. I'm West of Chicago. Option 2 - set that baby up on it's rear end, put a post jack in there somehow and have at it.

Elon and John, Thanks for the offers! I hope I can get mine straightened out, but I'll keep those in mind. I don't know when I'll have time to mess with it, we've got Bible School this week, and I got "volunteered" to be a crew leader. It's in the evening, during prime tractor fixing time. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Thanks to all! Skot

I finally got time to look at my tractor. Judging by the photo Clyde posted above, nothing is bent. This doesn't explain why all of a sudden the belt is too tight. I did get it to work though. I adjusted the turnbuckles all the way in, to push the deck forward as much as it could go. I also looked at the 2 PTO idler pullys. The bracket they're mounted on has 2 holes. They were in the front one, so I moved them to the back. I still don't have the slack in the belt I used to, but it worked fine. Does anyone have any ideas on what might've happened to make the belt too tight? Also, does anyone foresee any problems with the fixes I made? I'm gonna watch it real close each time I mow, but when I mowed with it tonight, it worked like it always has. Thanks!