Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

diesel project. is it viable

lndscpr

i recently purchased a 7112h with no motor. previous owner was in the process of installing what he referred to as a perkins diesel into it. he had the motor mounts all done and ready to install the motor. turns out it is not not a perkins but a lister-petter 4.08 hp motor used on generators and signs. motor is in very good condition but before i try to mount this i am wondering how good this motor would be in the 7112h. he had the mounts done but not the tranny linkage. before i go to any trouble i would like to know what you guys think. it seems like a hair brained set up to me and i am thinking of shopping for a kohler right now. here is a pic of the motor

I say go for it!!! It would be one of a kind. It mite take a lot but in the end, I think you'll be pleased. Elon

John, I'd go for it too, like Elon says, if for nothing but the uniqueness. Perhaps one of our engine gurus can tell us if it is practical or not. But fun has to be the best part of it!! It seems I've read some on the Lister-Petters and they were decent engines. I think made in England?

yes, they were built in england and obviously well constructed. This one is about the size of a kohler. i am told this will provide more low end torque than any briggs or kohler. not sure how true or important that is. the previous owner actually had this hooked up. the story i got was that the shaft was in the back and it turned the wrong way. i will need to turn it around and connect it to the drive shaft somehow. seems that the motor fits pretty good.

I think the engine speed will be real low, you would have to overdrive some attachments to get right rpm's. Being overdriven might take some power away. Still worth a try. Also can you get parts for that motor.

If it has low rev's It mite be great for plowing. As for plowing or tilling mite be a problem. But then again, how meny of us have one tractor with several attachment? lol Elon

You probably don't want to hear this, but what's your time worth? I prefer bolt-in parts. No fuss. You just bought three new tractors, sell most and keep the best.

I think these people knew what they were doing when they built and rated that diesel at 4 hp. And 4 hp is 4 hp be it gas or diesel. If you had a pair of tillers and one had the diesel and another a gas engine you would soon find out that the gas engine will do about as much work per hour as the diesel. IF you started adding tines to both tillers and making the work load heavier you will see the diesel handle the load better ( and last longer run in such a loaded condition ) Simplicity ran a 10 hp on a BGB tractor with hydro and Cub ran an 8 I think it was. I have one of the 8 or so hp kohler cubs and let me tell you it barely able to mow. And I wouldn't think by any strech that the diesel you have could hang with this kohler. I could be wrong but thats how I see it.

12 horsepower was the smallest that Simplicity or AC used in a BGB hydro tractor. With that exception, I agree with Marty. 4hp is 4hp. In the simplest of terms, the additional torque of the diesel would only result in your not noticing the loss of power (when load is applied) as quickly on two engines of the same horsepower. Pat

Sounds like an awesome project. BTW The cub cadet original has 7hp so does the 70. the 100 is the first ten. Just thought it might be helpful

You're right, Marty. I'd forgotten about the 3410H. There was also a 3310H, both 10 horsepower. Can't imagine what they were like. I temporarily installed a 10 horse in my HB-212 and it was pretty low on power, even with the 42" deck. Pat

was skeptical of the 4 horse in the first place. the previous owner was only going to use it for plowing so maybe it would have worked for him. too much work for me. i may consider it on a walk behind but it is probably too big for a walk behind. i will entertain offers or interesting trades for the motor. if somebody want to try this, i have a 7010 with no motor that is available. john

John, I havent received your check, so my offer is still open, :D maybe if you can get that enigne to someone coming to the gathering, send it instead of the check ?;)