Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fuel pump

bsggsb

I have a question for someone of vast knowledge... My grandfather bought a B12 brand spankin' in 1964. He had some hills to mow on and the gravity feed kept giving him fits. He went and put a FORD fuel pump(12V I, reckon)on the tractor and ran it w/an on/off switch for 30+ yrs when he needed it. Then it quit working and he went to replace it, and when he took it off the tractor, he looked on the bottom and it said,"THIS SIDE UP" (30 yr oops!) He flipped it over and it took right off and ran until my father unceremoniously sold it w/o me knowing!(It had Hi/Low!!) anyway...I have the same problem and was going to try the same trick BUT, I have no idea what kind of PSI those carbs can handle...I'm sure its low but does anyone know of a spec that exists? I may just put a small hobbist manual plunger type on it that I can pump just when I need it. Ideas??!!

Brian, I believe I was once told that these carbs could use 2 or 3 psi. But I ran a small electric for a saddle thank on my service truck to all 3 of my welders. Two being single cyl. and the present being a 2 cyl. I had no problems at all. I would think you could find a small regulator to cut it down if nessary. If I remember right, the lowest I could get at that time was 12 psi. Hope this helps.

If you search the forums for "electric fuel pump" you'll find a bunch of info on doing this. I just took a quick look, and it looks like several folks have used NAPA pumps. I think Joe is right - around 2 to PSI should be good.

Thanks Clyde. I have a hard time finding anything because I have always tried to use the search at the top of the page...I found another search in the pull down menus that found the items you mentioned. Thanks!!

You can use an electric pump without building any more pressure than the tank would. Run the line from the pump to the carb, but connect with a "T" fitting at the carb. The extra line will be a return line. It should be raised to a height of approximately the top of the gas tank. Connect this line into a second "T" that is mounted between the gas tank and the fuel pump. The pump needs to be mounted lower than the tank. This way the pump will pump all fuel from the tank to the carb will never produce more pressure than the gravity drain from the tank would on level ground when full. The higher the return line is raised before going back to the pump, the more pressure will be built, but nowhere near the pressure of a straight line.

Rod, I think I understand this but could you email or PM me a basic drawing so that it would be more clear? Thanks!

bsggsb, PM or email me with your email address. I don't know how to post a picture to either through the site. With your email address I can make a sketch and send directly to you.

I believe the Simplicity SunRunner had an electric fuel pump, not that I really noticed since I've never had any problem. KNOCK on WOOD. This mower has dual tanks and are set way below the carb. I have looked in the parts manual for a part number for the fuel pump but I can't seem to find the number. Maybe you can check with the dealer in their SunRunner manual. As you can see the gas tank is way below the carb and these gas tanks are mounted on both sides of the tractor.