Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bsggsb

Exhaust

bsggsb
Another question.... My Big Ten has the straight pipe exhaust to a small round muffler. My Simplicity 7014S has the exhaust in the same area of the tractor but it turns and goes inside the hood to a muffler and then comes back out. This of course generates a great deal of heat under the hood. Is there some reason anyone knows why I couldn't just put a muffler on that comes straight out like the B series had? I didn't know if it was an engineered back bressure issue or if they just decided to be cute. Thanks!

MPH
I'm guessin' the 7014 is a notable bit quitier then the Big Ten, though I've never heard on run, think that was the reason for the change in muffler design systems. Changes like that are often brought on by the need to keep up with the compition also,,looks etc...

thedaddycat
I believe that the mufflers were mounted in front of the engine starting with the 3300 seies in 1971. Note that these tractors were a bit longer that the B series but that the length was added to the front of the frame. That allowed the front PTO to be enclosed and left room for the muffler in front of the engine. The engine cooling air flow should blow across the muffler after it exits the engine shrouding.

Salthart
My grandad had a 3212V I think it was with outside exhaust. He pulled up outside the house one day and shut it off and before anyone could move my brother who was 6 or so years old at the time layed his hand on it...( solid second degree palm, fingers and all. This is the only real reason I can think of for putting all that heat under the hood.. But kids are a good one. Check out the prices on the Briggs "Low tone" mufflers. They have a great sound with out the "Tin horn" sound some have.. Hmmm thought just hit me.. A basket made of expanded metal around an outside exhaust would be great for people with kids...

bsggsb
ok...this is where I show my ingorance... My 7014S has the front PTO inside the hood area unlike the B series. Is there a mule system of pulleys to run a snowblower from that pto or does it use the same one as the mower. My dad has a Soverign and his blower uses the mower PTO and a REALLY long belt. If this is so, is there anything that uses the from PTO since it was enclosed?

goatfarmer
My 3410 had the underhood muffler,that rusted out.When I changed the engine to a newer 11HP Briggs,I was going to use an original style underhood muffler,until I heard the price from the dealer.It was in the $75.00 range I think. I went to a pipe nipple,street el,and a round can type muffler,which exits just in front of the carb. Less than $20.00 for everything.Works great!

richp
I also have a 7014s and for a very short time I ran a 12 horse out of a 3112 and used the original straght out muffler and it looked fine. I do like the quieter muffler as i get older. Now I even wear headphones when mowing. I remember a few years ago I think Al Eden said years ago he cut lawns all day with a muffler that came apart early in the day and damaged his ears. Kind of a wake up call for me.

Charlieson
My 3212 has a straight out muffler. I was pulling the cart Friday with my son. When I stopped to put some brush in the cart, he got down and ran up and put his hand on the muffler. Blistered 3 of his fingers. Didnt get his palm. Dont know why he did it, but I bet he wont do it again. My 3416 has the muffler under the hood. It is a lot safer, and quieter. Ive thought about putting a straight 'tractor' muffler on the 3212. Ive seen a couple and kind of like the looks. ddh ddh

JoeJ
Ya gotta watch those darned kids every minute!!! I had rigged a Wheel Horse blow on the front of my Ford. It was giving me fits with the first snow. The drive belt came off for the final time. As I was gathering the belt out of the way I layed my hand, hard, on that shiney stainless steel muffler. Yup, awsome blisters, palm, fingers and wrist. Yup, keep an eye on those kids.......

fireballv8
The four strokes are simple, to get more air and fuel in.....you have to get the exhaust out. Two strokes use the exh. backpressure to prevent the air/fuel mixture from leaving the combustion chamber and or mix the incoming charge...depending on design. Any good muffler made for your approximate horsepower should do.

fireballv8
oh yeah, for my big ten I bought a simplicity OEM muffler (the can that jets the exhaust 90 degrees out of the can) and welded a pipe nipple in the hole (this hurt since it was a new muffler) then I got an exhaust pipe for a Kubota b5200 with the curved end to clamp on the nipple, it looks cool. I will post a pic of the last progress on my big ten.