Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Battery rundown

toriuspendragon

Ok, I know I'm not going crazy. I remember reading a post on blocker diodes to prevent battery rundown. I can't find it. Can someone help me out? I would love to get rid of the battery cutout swith that was put on the B10 before I bought it. Thanks in advance.

chad if the mower is wired up right you shouldn't be having a problem. has something been add on. doides will only let the current through it but not back . JJ

A generator wants to push dc current out to the battery when it is turning. However, when it is not turning it acts like a load and causes current to flow in from the battery. A cutout relay closes when the current is being generated allowing the generator to charge the battery. The cut out does not cause any reduction in the current flowing through from the generator to the battery. You can use a large power diode to do the same thing if it is mounted so that current will only flow in the direction away from the generator BAT ---!<--- GEN But the diode has a voltage drop associated with it. ALMOST 1 VOLT. So the battery will not charge as high as it would with a cut out. Radio shack would have large power diodes

If your batt is not holding a charge you could possibly have 1), a bad battery, 2) an add on that is not wired correctly, or 3) a faulty voltage regulator. I have have had problems with a voltage regulator causing a problem like this before.

A good way to test for a voltage draw on a battery is to disconnect the positive battery cable from the positive post and connect a test light between the positive post and the cable end. With every thing turned off if the bulb lights you have a draw. Start disconnecting wires to components when the light goes out you have found it. You can make a test light if you don't have one by warping a wire around the a 12 volt bulb IE 1156 bulb and connecting it to the cable end & then touch the end contact on the bulb to the positive post. A battery can go bad over night. A couple of weeks ago I went to start my HB-212 it just clicked. It started the day before no problem. I thought I left the key on so I jump started it The amp gauge went to 10 amps of charge I mowed with it for about 45 min. Plenty of time to put enough charge into the battery to start it again. I stalled the engine and went to start it just a click. I jumped it with my battery pack and got it back to the garage and cleaned the battery connections. I started it and let it run for about 20 min. shut it off and tried starting it again nothing. Took the battery to parts store and had it tested, NO good. It is not a good practice to keep jump starting a tractor with a bad battery as this puts a high load on the gen. and will cause the gen. to burn out working overtime to charge a bad battery. Then you don't only have the expense of replacing the battery but also a very expensive Starter/Gen.

You should add this battery tester/load tester to your toolbox. Real handy when you think the generator or alternator is guilty. Harbor Frieght and Northern Tools carry this or a similiar model.

i have replaces AMP gauge on my 416 with a volt meter.when i turn the switch on now i can tell the voltage that the battery has. also it let you know if the charging system working.unstead of AMP it read voltage .just a 2 wire hook . but not wired like the AMP gauge. you can get them that are the same size as AMP meter they will fit in the same hole. JJ

Thank you everyone. I need to invest in a volt/ohm meter. Until then I will continue borrowing my buddies. I will start checking it out. There has been no additions to the electrical in the tractor. The voltage regulator is or at least looks new. If it's an incorrect replacement could that be a possible source? Thanks again. It's a real pain to have to take off the hood to put in that key so you can run and then take the hood off again to "turn it off" before putting it away. I will let you all know the outcome in a couple days.