Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MPH

Sickle Mower Time

MPH
Welp, I lost my will power today, instead of plowing down my green manure crop of some barley and a lot of weeds today I mounted the sickle mower and made it look like a hay field. Then went and mowed off some 3 year old willows along the road about half to 3 quarter inches in dia. What a cool little machine. Of course, figureing the 2 foot tall barley wasn't going to plow well once cut, I went out with the B-112 and shreded it with the lawn mower, got most of it. Tommorow I'll see how the 725 does plowing some pretty dry, hard dirt. Got a few pics of the hay field but I'm still on film so they'll be awhile Whats the simplest way anyone has come up with too mount the sickle mowers? Seemed like a bit more hassle then Simplicity must have intended it too be jugging fromthe rest of thier easy mounting attachments.

thedaddycat
The ones I've used just pin into place on the front axle like a mower deck or dozer blade would, then you hook up the support chain o keep the rear end of it up off the ground. The handle of the earlier 990210 sickle bar is used to raise or lower the cutter bar, while the newer versions that use the cable lift will also nee the lift cable attached to the right end ot the lift shaft and you use the normal implement lift handle of the tractor to raise or lower the cutter bar.... It only took me a few minutes the time Rob brought one of his over. He'd been having problems with it and wanted to come over and have me check it out with him. I had it mounted on the Putt Putt and running inside of five minutes, I think..... What problems are you having, Marty? BTW, has the tensioning lever made it's way to "Arctic Fleet Central HQ" yet??

MPH
Not really any problems Kirk, just seemed a pain in the butt getting the axle holes to line up as one side needed lifted and one side pushed down. Maybe it was cuz I had the bar straight up leanning agaist the shop wall. Didn't time myself but I suppose it didn't take me much over 5 min. No packages so far.

Chris727
I've got a sears sicke made by roper, not haban, and its really tough to get mounted. I can't blame you for mowing down your manure crop, If my sickle actually worked I'd mow all the tall grass I could find.