Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

30w or 10w-30 in hydro transmission?

Bruker

I'm going to change the oil and filter in my Eaton 850 in hopes of clearing up my transmission problem. I think I'll also change the drive belt in case that is the problem. (See my earlier topic) My problem now is what oil to use? The operators manual says to use 30w and the Simplicity lube chart says to use 10w-30. Also the Simplicity filter is PN 1702282 but I would like to try a NAPA Gold filter to save a few bucks. What NAPA filter number should I get?

I would go with the weight of oil Simplicity recommends. You can bring the Simplicity Part Number to your nearby NAPA Store and they can cross-reference the Simplicity number over to the NAPA number.

There's been a lot of talk about different filter's here, do a search and see for yourself. Bottom line is for the few times that you do change filters spend the extra bucks and get OEM ;)