Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lifting

JCS

I don't have a factory rod at the moment, but my feeble brain keeps saying that the length from the pin to the chain attachment should be 8 inches. I don't know why that is stuck in my head, but I think I heard it here at one time.

I'd recommend looking at the weight of one of the heaviest implements. The lift was really only designed for the implements. While many of us collectors, implementor, hackers, or whatever, go and lift things with the rear lift, it was only designed for a certain weight. Yes, they probably over built it, but over doing it will break it and these parts are getting rare and costly. I've lifted the front ends of tractors (with flat tires or no tires and engines) with my machine (both hydrolift and handle). Worked great. My Mold plow is really heavy, that gets lifted. So my guess would be about 150 lbs to 200. Also I've seen bent lifting rod and other parts when stripping tractors, telling me people do over do it.

I have a 38"HD tiller it weighs between 375-400lbs and it lifts with no problem with the sundstrand hydro lift on the HB-116. below is a diagram of the steel rod used in the lift point. 8 1/2" long 7/16" holes at 90° to each other 7 1/2" between holes on center.

UCD(Maynard), since your 38" tiller is pivoting, do you think the whole weight of 350 lbs is being put on the lift? Or is there some fraction due to the pivot? Not sure what JCS is trying to do, but if he's talking deadlift without the advantage of a pivot, 350 maybe too much for the lift; i.e. is he making a tow truck? I must say the mold plow with the hand lift was heavier than the (not HD) rototiller I use; now I use the tiller with the counter weight.

You are still lifting 375-400lbs dead weight. It lifts it weather the pins are in or not. the lower pivot does not give you a mechanical advantage. The lower arms just hold it away from tractor when lifted and pulls the tiller when in use. To attach the 38" HD tiller you slide in the lift rod lift the tiller and swing in the hitch points and put in the pins. The lower hitch is a double pivot and when lifting the tiller you are picking it straight up. Also the actual lift point on the tiller is 14" from the pivot point/fulcrum on the rear lift arm which puts more stress on the lift system the further the lift point weight is from the pivot point.

Good info. So any idea what the 990545 tiller weights? That's what I have. I just looked through the 503 and 545 PDF file and didn't see a weight figure. Are you guessing the weight from your experience? I can lift my tiller, I assume at 375 lbs, your not lifting yours alone.