Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What should I do?

Bruker

Please see my previous two topics to get familiar with what I have. Tonight I removed the two magnet drain plugs on my Eaton 850 hydro and I found some small metal fillings on them. Not a lot but there was definitely some metal on them. Should I continue to replace the oil and filter or should I take the hydro to a dealer for a rebuild. By the way the oil was very clean and it smelled like oil should.

Depends on what you call a small amount. Some fillings to us would fell like a rock in our shoe to a hydro tran. However if you detect no drop in performance, continue to do the fine job your doing on regular service and mow on. BTW, thats what the magnets on the drains are for. So they catch this stuff instead of the gear rotor sections of the pump.

I've kind of got the tractor tore apart and it would be easy to drop the hydro and take it to the dealer. I guess I'm not sure if I should change the $26.00 filter and 6-1/2 quarts of oil just to find out that it didn't help.

If it ain't broke, then don't fix it. Those shavings could have been in there for years. Maybe from the original machining.