Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bad News for me!,,

dlcentral

One of the local Sim dealers here is NOT oderering any more stock phasing out Sim possibly going into the ''fine mtd stuff''!,[V]I still think alot of oldtime dealers are going to bail on this change in business they cococted,,

"fine MTD stuff" ? Is that a quote from him? Sounds like you might be better off without that one.

Can someone enlighten a fairly recent new member and attendee of this site to what "change" you guys are speaking of? Thank you! Tom

Briggs bought Simplicity. They are now one company. Problem is that small machine competitors may be frightened over Briggs also being Simplicity. Classic business problem. I think Briggs-Simplicity could do well, they just need to be careful. We probably need to do everything we can do to help them, besides being stupid and over paying for stuff.

I'm not sure why an existing dealer would change their plans based upon this, until Simplicity does something that would cause them too... I can see where competitors (like Cub, Wheelhorse, etc.) would be concerned -- but an existing dealer????

Now that Simp and Snapper are one, the local Snapper dealer now sells Simp which saves me some gas driving around the state. (like CT. is that big in the first place)

If the reason that the dealer is phasing out Simplicity due to the Briggs/Simplicity deal. I think it is too soon for him to push the panic button. I think the aquisition could be a good thing. That dealer should "play it by ear" for now.

quote:
Originally posted by dlcentral
One of the local Sim dealers here is NOT oderering any more stock phasing out Sim possibly going into the ''fine mtd stuff''!,[V]I still think alot of oldtime dealers are going to bail on this change in business they cococted,,
State Sarles & Sons in Marlboro phased out Simplicity 3 years ago. He now only deals in Snapper. The funny thing is Simplicity's website still lists him as a dealer. I went there back in May for the first time to order some parts. He had only three shelves of parts. (a lot of you guys have more parts them him) and he didn't even stock a lot of common breakdown items like throttle cables, or flywheel keys. I ended up ordering a clutch spring and he told me it would be here at the end of the week. I called him about it and he told me flat out, " He didn't feel like ordering it." I won't be back. Oh and BTW I believe the business is for sale, but with the location and the little inventory he has you might as well start your own brand new business.

I certainly understand the concern. The dealer I've come to know for quite a few years is closing his doors come the end of the month. There are others a little further away, but there's something to be said about having a good relationship with a dealership. Guess I'll have to establish a relationship with a different dealer. So, at the end of the month the town I live nearest(10 min away)will have only two options. Either go to the local JD dealer, or buy MTD. Thankfully, within a half hour there's a well established Simp. dealer. Guess where I'll be going?

UP UNTILL LAST YEAR I BOUGHT VARIOUS PARTS, ORDERED PARTS AND ALSO HAD SOME WORK DONE AT STATES SARLES IN MARLBORO NEW YORK. I WAS ALWAYS TREATED LIKE A GENTLEMAN MAYBE HE WAS JUST HAVING A BAD DAY.

quote:
Originally posted by Vinnie_A
UP UNTILL LAST YEAR I BOUGHT VARIOUS PARTS, ORDERED PARTS AND ALSO HAD SOME WORK DONE AT STATES SARLES IN MARLBORO NEW YORK. I WAS ALWAYS TREATED LIKE A GENTLEMAN MAYBE HE WAS JUST HAVING A BAD DAY.
My neighbor said he is hit and miss. About half the time he is in a bad mood, and half the time in a good mood. It just rubbed me the wrong way.

Hi, Just ordered my 2005 tractors yesterday. Jim Wier [Sim CEO]tape said that Simplicity has had a record year and the numbers they showed were really great. Wier said he wanted to address two questions about the buy out. 1 Will Simplicity go in the mass merchants? NO!! NO!! THEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE "THE DEALER LINE" 2 Will only Briggs engines be used? He said that the broad needs of Simplicity Customers require a broader field of engines than one company provides. Sounds like Briggs, Kohler, and Kawasaki for 2005. Honda has been dropped, because they do not sell direct to OEMs, unless the quantities are HUGE. Having to buy through a distributor, they are not price competitive. My Honda distributor tells me that OEMS that are Honda factory direct, have to project their needs 3 years in advance and that as a distributor they also have to. He says that Honda has their production scheduled out for 3 years and are running at nearly full capacity. The final string to Wal Mart, string trimmers that were made by Poulan and sold with a Snapper label were still sold through Wal Mart yet last year. Wier says that is now ended. Am going to Kohler Monday morning and then to Simplicity for the annual dealer open house. All of the items Simplicity, Snapper, Ferris and Giant Vac make will be on the proving grounds and are setup for dealers to run, dig, till and whatever with. There will be factory tours for the dealers all day long with buses running from the proving grounds to the factory every 20 minutes. This is always a great event. It is always a joy to get to get to touch base with all of the people I have met through my 24 years dealing with the company. My 2 cents worth and its free, value accordingly. Al Eden