Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  

Broadmoor owners - question about tire valve stems

Just had y Broadmoor serviced at 25 hours. Mowed after it was returned from shop and the cut isn't looking as nice as before. Looked at the manual. Decided I should first check tire pressure then clean the deck. Turns out the tire valve stems are on the inside, not on the outside like on an automobile. Just curious about this. Is this a standard feature? If so, does anyone know the rationale for this? It can't be to make it easier for me to check the tire pressure. I'm interested in hearing from some other Broadmoor owners.

Good_Ole_JR
IT'S ALSO THE SAME WAY ON THE SOVEREIGNS TOO. EVIDENTLY THE MANUFACTURER FIGURED IT WOULD BE HARDER TO TEAR OFF THE STEM BY RUBBING UP AGAINST SOMETHING SUCH AS A CURB OR SIDEWALK OR OBJECTS OF THAT NATURE.

FiremanRon
If you measure the wheel, you will find that there is a difference in the offset, or where the hub is in relation to the centerline of the rim. With the valve on the inside, the overall width (of the tractor) is wider, so I speculate that this change may have been made so the tractor would be harder to tip over. On my Regent, it made the weights stick out past the snowblower, so I flipped them over. The weights have a relief molded in for the valve stem, so I thought that's how it was supposed to be. Also, the bolts that came with the weights, only were long enough if the valves were out. All was well until I had to mount the chains, there was no longer enough clearance between the tire and frame. After shifting some spacers around, I think I can now have enough space for chains, but still have the narrow overall width that I was looking for. You can tell the difference in stability when mowing a slope, but my yard is flat, and I use the push mower for the ditch.