Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Loud mower deck

toriuspendragon

I have a 42" deck on my B10. The problem I'm having is, the bearings in it are super loud. I have greased them twice. The first time I did it a ton of rust and water came out. I did it a second time after using it to cut the lawn and it's still loud. Sounds like they are "dry". Do I start looking for replacement parts?

Most of the bearings are sealed. Normally all you are greasing with the fittings is the area between the shaft and housing to prevent rust in that area. I just replaced the bearings on my 48 inch deck last summer. About $8 each time six equals $48. I don't have the bearing numbers handy tonight, but the large frame tractors nearly all use the same bearings in the mowers. PM me if you want me to look up the numbers.

Use a Fafnir P204RR6. This is a double shielded bearing. All my mowers have grease fittings in the arbors and I just take off a shield off each bearing and assemble the arbor with the exposed bearings facing the zerk. Also this was the least expensive for me to buy with both shields. My oldest deck is running on its twelfth year with this combination with the average of two and one hours of mowing a week. The last few years us 'mid northerners' have been mowing almost a seven month season. MPH will be done on another 60 days I'm guessing. What is it Marty?

From my experience, the best type & correct type are those shielded on one side and sealed on the other. The shielded ends should face each other in the arbor. This allows grease under slight pressure via the zerk fitting to enter the bearings. I wouldn't remove the shields as BLT suggests since they keep contamination from possibly directly entering the races. Also, unless the arbor cavity is always completely full of grease, you might starve the upper bearing of it without the shield. My two cents worth, Tom(PK)

For those of you interested, here is a couple of other part numbers for these bearings: Federal-Mogul/BCA bearings 204-BBAR Simplicity bearings #108202

Sandy Lake implement has the parts. I have rebuilt 3 mower decks and they have had all the parts for a rebuild. Make sure that you torque the 3/4" nut to the specs because one of mine came loose and I had to rebuild the center shaft. Good luck, JH.

Bob, this year I could be done mowing next week if I quit watering all weekend. With that 150 lbs of fishmeal and 100lbs of lime I spread on the lawn this spring I cut 3-4 inches of grass off every weekend. Nice having the place looking good though. At most I have another 6 weeks of green, more likely 4-5. Never have put the effort into the lawn before I did this year, lawn ='s tractor time, so I'm not not sure what Sept will look like around here, but its freezing pretty good by mid Sept.