Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How hard to adapt this to this.

10HorseMan

How hard will it be to adapt a new 36" rototiller to a A-C B110. Someone said somthing about it would not be "A safe condition" to operate it with the original way of engaging/disengaging it. Also it was meant to use it with some kind of a cone clutch. All inquires are appreciated.

Not to answer your question, but to clarify the situation... The earliest 36" tillers disengage on the tiller itself, not on the tiller drive like the 32". Though I haven't tried it, I'd think that if you used the double idler setup like that tiller does, and a 4" pulley on the left side of the BGB and you'd be fine. The newer 36" tillers from 7000 (AC 700) series and later have no disengagement, intended for use with the cone clutch center PTO, and I wouldn't recommend using one without some way to disengage it. If you could fabricate some type of idler clutch, like the 32" tiller drive has, you might get one to safely work. You'd have to also make a set of belt stops for that larger BGB drive pulley to hold the belt in check, so the clutching action would work...

I think you can buy many of the parts new still, need to look at the manuals and look up the parts. I read somewhere that the clutch was an optional kit with some of the tillers. Actually the 1690039, that I have has the place to install the clutch, but no sign one ever was installed.

It's been less than a year since I checked, but all the parts for the tiller clutch were still available. Parts needed are labeled X, AH, AC, AD, AE, AF, and AG. Anything else required is standard hardware items.

Not sure of the newest tillers, but all others that I have seen were still made with the pegs (red arrow) to attach the clutch handle. Tractors with the cone clutch have a spring attached to a bolt that was installed in the hole in the belt tightener bracket (green arrow). With the tiller clutch, the peg on the spring bracket (blue arrow) installs in that hole. Have to check tomorrow to be sure, but if I'm not mistaken, you need a 5" pulley on the BGB. There's also a belt guide that attaches to the tractor frame. The tiller will continue to run with the clutch disengaged if you don't have that guide. Also, with the B-110 and older tractors, you'll need an 88" belt, rather than a 96". Pat

There is also the 1685225 kit (shown below) which I have seen installed on a 7016 to run a 32" tiller using the clutch PTO. Below is the drawing where I saw the clutch could be a separate item; I thought I saw some text on this somewhere also. Also, Pat from the repair manual, only models 1690039, 545,503, and 694 would have this clutch type system. The 32" & 38" work differently. The 32" needs the separate idler clutch type system; not sure if it is adaptable to the 1690039,545,503 and 694... assume it might work. Need to check how many rotations occur from the engine for this. From the "Repair Manual for Tractor Mounted Tillers" (file TP_500_570_00_AT_S.pdf)

From the "Garden Tractor Parts Manual" (file TP_400_861_05_AT_SMA.pdf)

Ok, below is which manual the clutch is shown as a separate item. What's strange is that this is shown in a 7000 series manual, which has the clutch cone PTO?... what gives? From the "Parts Manual Model 7000 Attachments and Assessories" (file TP_400_1044_00_AT_S.pdf)

Why not just do away with one of the clutches. Would the one on the tractor work best or the one on the tiller. :)

Your B110 does not have a clutch on the PTO. 7000 series have a clutch. The Landlord, B10, B110, B12, B112, Big Ten, 2000, 3000 series all do not have the clutch. You need the clutch on your tiller.

quote:
Originally posted by 10HorseMan
But what idler pullies do I need to do away with.
Justin, I don't think you will "do away with", any idler pullies. First, let's figure out what tiller you have. Can you add a photo to this topic? Do you have the 990545,990503,990455, or the 1690039? These are all of the 36" tillers. When you said a "new tiller", I think we all thought you have a 1690039, because that is the "newer" numbers. Also that tiller doesn't look like it came with the clutch. The rest of the tillers are the 38" HD or the 32" tillers. (Any one please feel to correct me if I am wrong on this.)

I should also include that the 990694 is also one of the same style tillers. Is the advertisement on eBay like yours? See pictures below, that is really a 36" tiller. Also note, this seller is NOT showing that they are including the idler setup that "cutriteshop" was selling (which did not sell on eBay). This is the "magic part" or as Fred said, "the part you've been looking for"! Example tiller pulley setup for a 990694,503,545,455 and 1690039:

Example 990694 tiller: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4315380425&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

(Above show they are including the tiller hitch/lift part, but no idler pullies.)

Michael You state the 3000 series does not have a cone clutch. The 3400 has a cone clutch. The idler set up you showed above (The one Fred had for sale) is needed on any cone clutch tractor using a 36" tiller with or with out a clutch and 38"HD tiller it is also used on the older tractors with out a cone clutch to drive the older 36" tiller with a clutch . To do this you have to change either the drive pulley size on the BGB or the driven pulley on the tiller The older style tillers with out built in clutch can be used on the newer tractors with cone clutch by using the small idler set up (the one being sold by Fred above) and changing the driven pulley size on the tiller The rear PTO. drive kit is only needed on a Sundstrand hydrostatic tractor with the filter mounted on the pump. The Sundstrand hydrostatic tractors with a remote filter do not need it nor do the Vickers hydrostatic.

quote:
Originally posted by michaelg221
I should also include that the 990694 is also one of the same style tillers. Is the advertisement on eBay like yours? See pictures below, that is really a 36" tiller. Also note, this seller is NOT showing that they are including the idler setup that "cutriteshop" was selling (which did not sell on eBay). This is the "magic part" or as Fred said, "the part you've been looking for"! Example tiller pulley setup for a 990694,503,545,455 and 1690039: [img]/club2/attach/michaelg221/3d_1.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/michaelg221/40_1.jpg[/img] Example 990694 tiller: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4315380425&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT [img]/club2/attach/michaelg221/63_1.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/michaelg221/79_1_b.jpg[/img] (Above show they are including the tiller hitch/lift part, but no idler pullies.)
The one I am planning on getting is the "One that simplicity currently makes 36" Why can't I just use the idler that I used with my 32". No I have'nt even bought it yet. But i don't want to spend a arm and a leg to get somthing that wont work with my tractor. This will be a New tiller. Can I use the pully off of my 32" to do away with the "Supposed Idler Pully with the tiller?" Am I gettin it or not.