Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs Model 19

KSever

Got that model 19 running today that I picked up at a garage sale a while back. Looks to be all original except the air cleaner. Had to clean the rust off the coil inside the behind the flywheel. Looks a little different than my Briggs 10HP behind that flywheel, I was anticipating a different kind of coil. Other than the rusty coil the carb does need to be cleaned, since it doesn't like to run if I turn the choke all the way off. If I keep the choke about 1/4 on it runs very good and no smoke at all. All in all I am really impressed with this little engine, it even has the original dipstick for the oil level. Now the question is do I keep it for a backup on the Landlord or do I Ebay it like I had planned?

I would hang on to it for a while. Clean the carb and maybe get all the paint to match then put it on ebay with a reserve but, don't post an ammount. If your reserve isn't met try once in a while until it is. You could probably make some good money doing it that way.

Geez, that pto end crank bearing cap looks different than the one I have on my 19's. Is it the same as the newer 10hp models?

I learned the hard way, keep a backup you wont regret it.I have only sold a few duplicate items but now I have a need for two of them.The money I received for these 3 years ago is nothing compared to what I will have to spend now plus the time trying to locate them and also having down time on the tractors.

Reed, I haven't compared the bearing end cap but I do know that shaft looks just a bit longer by about 1/2 inch. So maybe tomorrow I'll clean it up and see about painting to look nice and see about cleaning the carb.

Kris, With the talk of briggs discontinuing parts for these old engines I would Clean it up and get it running well now and hang on to it. I have 2 extra engines that I need to get running and those will be kept as spares.

• 3 weeks later...
IMO Kris, all you need is a 725 or B-1 to go with one hard working engine. Just love getting a load on my 725 to make the model 19 talk too me.