Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Big Ten Transmission troubles

fireballv8

My newly assembled Big Ten wont stay in first and is sometimes almost impossible to shift from 2nd/reverse up to 1st/3rd and back again. Has anyone else had this problem, I know I am probably going to have to take the rear end out and break into it. I am worried about parts and know how. PLEASE HELP LOL!!!:(

Does the belt stop completely when you push in on the clutch pedal? Maybe something minor like a belt stop adjustment.

I had that problem with one. Check the shift rod to see if it is in the carrier at the front end. also check for any binding when you are sitting on the seat. Mine would shift fine with the seat up but not when you were sitting on it. there was a bolt rubbing when you put weight on it.

That belt or the belt stop could be the big culprit. I only use simplicity belts on mine. They are worth the price. JH

even with me off the tractor and the motor off it still sticks. I can use a hammer and give it a couple of very light taps to unstick the shifter shaft in the rear end, it seems to be free enough (not rusty or siezed). The shifter rod is free with no rubbing. What is this "belt stop"??

Sounds like the ball jammer that holds the gear in place is rusted and not wanting to move once it sets in the indention. Find a bottle of "Hi-tach" at a local parts store and add about a cup full to your transaxle. It climbs and strings as the parts inside turn... Drive the machine a while to get the lube all over the parts and then shift it 20 or 30 times. If that don't help pulling the tranny, removing the shifter forks and replacing the balls..

The belt stop,stops the belt when the clutch is pushed in. If the belt stop was not correctly adjusted then the pulley at the bevel gear box will still free spin and the drive pulley will still spin and not let the gears mesh properly (they grind). JH