Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
BruceF

What would you do?

BruceF
Looking for opinions. I picked up this tractor as a parts machine. Was told the engine was locked up. Also someone has put a different rear axle in it. Looks to be one out of an MTD.

Took the mower deck off. The belt was rusted to the engine pulley keeping the engine from turning. Decided to see if this one would run. Had to do some cleaning first.

After vacuuming and washing,clean plug and cleaning the carb the engine runs.

Found there is a gas leak somewhere in the dash area, haven't tore that apart yet to find if it is the tank or just the gas line. Will be checking into that. The tractor runs but smokes just a little. Seems to drive fine even with the MTD rear end. One spindle on the mower deck was locked up. This is what I found. Could be a good reason not to wash your mower deck without drying it out afterwards.

The cone was full of rust. Here are the bearings that were on the spindle. Can get new ones with metal seals for $9.99/ea. or ones with rubber or plastic seals for $3.99/ea.

The deck has had some welding done, but could be cleaned up. Missing one wheel.

So now the question. Should I fix the mower deck and have a running lawn mower? Or should I part it out like I had originally planned before I knew it would run?

Rob-B
Its really your call. You got the big part done by getting it running. Earlier this week I saw a butch of 4000 stuff on ebay. The hood was real nice..........................Good luck hey! Rob

Bunky
I have to agree the transmissions in these 4000- 5000 series are really light weight My mom has 2 and mowerman and I had a real nice 4211 but the Tranny was bad .... I would part it out, JMO

Tacey
I would serve my needs first. Do you need a mower? I have a little Broadmoor II of the same age that mows beautifully (although the Broadmoor is now my "backup", it came in real handy when my Landlord was in the shop this Spring). I also have a snow blade attachment, a snow thrower attachment, and garden cart that I beat like a rented mule. All the attachments work great. Do you need money? Most tractors can be "parted out" for a lot more $ than it's worth as a running tractor. Are you a tractor collector? Someday that little tractor may be worth more than it is now. It can't depreciate much more. 'Whatever your needs are' should dictate your decision, IMO. Tacey