Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

richp

Carb height on b&s

richp
I noticed the carb on my 16 hp Briggs single has a longer intake manifold than on my 12 hp thus making the carb sit a lot lower. Any ideas why? I figure either power, fuel flow or for the larger air cleaner. I was going to run the chrome air cleaner lid from the 12 but it is shorter than the 16. I'll take more air cleaner over looks.

Kent
I think it is because of the larger air cleaner -- but there is a positive side-effect. The longer intake on the 16HP makes it much less likely to starve for gas from that gravity-fed fuel system when you're climbing steep hills. I have a hill behind my barn where the 10 or 12 HP engines will sometimes starve (empty the bowl) and the gas won't run in to fill it. Not a problem with the 16HP where the carb sits down lower on the engine...

HubbardRA
Kent, How is your fuel line routed? If it runs horizontally above the carb, it will starve quicker than if it runs below and upward to the inlet. Has to do with losing the siphon from the fuel hose when a portion of the hose gets higher than the level of fuel in the tank. The carb inlet almost never gets higher than the fuel level in the tank. This is why the lower routing works better.

richp
I would imagine the smaller tanks would go dry quick on a grade. I think the biggest thing I like about the 7014 I got is the gas tank, big and plastic, no rust in my fuel filter.

Kent
Here's the routing on my Big Ten and its 10HP engine... you can see that the gas line doesn't drop down very far. But you can also see that the gas inlet on the carb is probably only about 3" below the outlet on the tank, also... [img]http://simpletractors.com/images/big10_delux/Dcp00302.jpg[/img] This is the grade (now smoothed and sown down in grass) where the problem sometimes shows up when I climb this hill... This pic is from when I initially graded it off with the Johnny Bucket. [img]http://simpletractors.com/images/bucket/jim_bucket.jpg[/img]

Kent
You can see that with that slope, the fuel bowl would definitely higher than the gas tank, though... Don't have a picture of the tractor climbing that slope, because when the dirt was loose, it couldn't climb it. Only with the soil now packed and grass on it, can I climb it, and then only when it is dry. It is so steep that the tractor will slide sometimes going down it, leaving skid marks and tearing up the grass...