Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Opinions needed for repowering

rsachs

Have a AC 310 that needs the engine rebuilt. Also have a 48" deck that I would like to use with it. Here is the delema, should I look for a Kohler K321, bore the original K241 or try to stuff a CH25S that is for sale close to me in it? Any body know if the command series will fit without major modifications? A Briggs would work too, but I think the Kohlers would be the simple way to go, no pun intended.

I guess it depends what you want to pay, you can get a k241 for $500. All you need to do is change the flywheel so it has the gears. Here it is at the Small engine warehouse http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=K241-46856

Have done business with the Small Engine Warehouse before and very pleased with the service. Acording to the manual, and my better judgement, 10hp really isn't enough for the 48" deck. Would it be if bored .030 over? I am leaning toward the 14hp, but the used CH25 is tempting if it would fit.

rsachs, I am currently driving a 48 inch mower with a B/S 10 Hp. Not a problem unless grass is really high. The hydro tranny helps.

I have an Allis 314-D and the engine has been bored out to the max. (.030 over)and is in need of a rebuild. Iam going to try sleeving the cylinder back to standard. A local engine rebiulder with many years in the business has told me that sleeving works if done correctly. Although I want to keep the original Kohler 321 in this tractor, I do prefer Briggs but want to avoid all the "re-engineering" that would accompany a switch to another brand engine.

Having blown the Kohler KT 19 in my 7119 2 weeks ago. Did a lot of looking both on the internet and at different shops for a moter finaly went to the small engine warehouse and order a new 20 hp kohler . Will keep the kt for a possibale rebuild. But for the cost and ease of replasment a new one may be your best bet. Just my opinion .