Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MrBrowner

CCKB won't start???????

MrBrowner
My CCKB is giving me problems. Here we go, I had it rebuilt runs good, then it died out and won't start. I let it sit for a couple of days, started and ran good for twenty minutes shut it off, let it sit awhile try to start it won't start. I changed condensor, changed coil from a CCKA, I don't think that would make any difference, although that coil is longer,It has spark with both coils, but doesn't seem like a strong spark. (should it have a strong spark?) I thought maybe it might be wiring from starter switch, so I went with a wire from battery to coil no difference, points seem fine, checked gap. Tried ether yesterday, sprayed directly into carburator, nothin!!!! ????? Please Help!!!!!!!!

JP
Hi Jim, Check your fuel supply. Dirty filter, pump not putting out, air leaks. Been here, done this (LOL). Let me know......... JP PS How old are the points? ALWAYS check the timing with a light 8-):D

UCD
Change the Plugs a bad plug can fire with the wire off held next to the plug but will not fire with wire connected. It will also fire out of the block but will not fire under compression. Also be sure that the points are not grounded or shorted I had a bad set yesterday that was shorted to ground in a B-112 the contact screw plate to connect wire to points was twisted side ways and was shorting out the points post.

tractormike
I have a 16 horse onan in a bolens that acted up somewhat like yours. Everything looked good but no spark. Had to replace the points and condenser and it took off fine.

MrBrowner
Wantedinct, A CCKB is an ONAN two cylinder opposed 19.5 H.P. engine. JP, I have an electric low pressure onan fuel pump I tried without filter, didn't help. Points look good, not pitted checked the gap, haven't checked timing ran beautiful when I shut it off. What about this coil do they have a weak looking spark? ( the cckb's) is that all it takes? I take plug out, connect wire back on plug, ground plug and turn engine over, this is how I see this weak looking spark. sprayed ether directly into carb, something should happen then even if their is something wrong with carburator right? UCD, there are probably only 10-15 hours on rebuilt engine,plugs should last longer than that. I didn't notice anything shorted out in points box, but I'll check again.TractorMike, Changed condensor, checked points, no pits and gap look good to me. It does have weak looking spark, but always seems to have spark.........

JP
Maybe you should sweet talk to it, You know "Hey honey" sorta stuff.... LOL I just had a unit that was giving me grief. I wouldn't run. I looked at the points (OK), There was spark & I sprayed enough ether to make ME sleepy & NADA. Then It dawned on me, This unit had an Electric pump (Some of the 'fleet' do & others are still OEM), I didn't hear the pump whiring when I hit the key. Tested the pump on it's own & NADA. Went & got a new 1.4-4 psi pump & BAM, it's running (quite nicely). Have you checked return line to the tank for flow & the float valve to make sure there's fuel in the bottom of the carb? Geez, pesky aren't they! (LOL) JP

UCD
A weak spark with the plug out of the cylinder can be bad plugs but not always. But as I stated A bad plug might fire out side of the cylinder but not when it is in the block under compression. One thing you can try is hold the plug wire about 1/8" away from the plug installed in head and turn engine over if it fires Plug is bad. The added gap intensifies the spark. I have seen new plugs and points that were bad. Take the points out and check them with an ohm meter you should have continuity between where wire connects and frame of points with points closed but not with points open. Also check wire from coil to points hasn't got pinched some where and shorting to ground which could cause this intermitent condition.

gretsch
The coil could be on it's way out. When these start going bad, they will quit working when hot (run for a matter of time) and eventually stop working. If it's not the coil, I think JP's on the right track on the lack of fuel. You may want to replace the fuel lines as old one's can clog themselves right up (degrading rubber inside).

dads707
Try this. My 2012 has a starting glitch. Sometimes it will fire right up, sometimes it is deader than a doorknob. My problem is a dead spot in either the flywheel or S/G. I can reach up and give it a little pull on the S/G belt to rotate it a little bit and off it goes. Not enough of a problem yet for me to take it apart to fix.