Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Legacy w/ Loader

MikeES

My friend has worked out a great deal on a new 03 Legacy diesel, 60" deck, and loader. For the same price he can get (at a different dealer) an 03 Legacy with Kawasaki engine, deck and snowblower. He is a long time AC/SIM owner. We agree that for his yard that the loader would be more useful. Question -- is there any issues or concerns with the loader or Legacy/loader package. I know the loader on the older tractors was little more than a toy, is Legacy loader (2-wheel drive) more of a working system? Anyone with experience or information would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike.

Having no hands-on experience with the Legacy loader, I'll only comment that a diesel with a loader is much more of a "deal" than one with a Kawasaki and a snowblower...

Yes Kent, I agree that the diesel is a better deal. The dealers are dealing because everyone wants the XL with 4WD. I believe the deal is in the $8500 to $9000 range.

I have a Sunstar with a 48" loader, with loaded tires and about 90# of weight on each wheel it will easily lift in excess of 500#. It will lift a bucket full of volley ball sized rocks to full reach. It gets a little light in the rear, but the loader and tractor will take the load. I'll admit it is a lot of fun to play with, but it is more than a toy. It will work pretty hard and move a lot of rocks and dirt. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

I goofed when I bought mine and didn't get the loader. I did buy the snowblower. Latter on when I decided I wanted the loader it took me 2 1/2 years to locate one. If I had the choice of just the one implement I would go with the loader and look for the blower later on. .02 worth of hindsight.

The pictures Kent posted of his loader activity a while back makes me think these little loaders are more then a toy. Yea, compared to a cat 966 they may be a joke, compared to a shovel and wheel barrow, they'll move mountains.

Thanks, for the feedback. What I found out was that the frame for the 04 Legacys were changed to accomodate the 4WD. The loaders for 03 and older will not work on the 04s and newer, so some dealers are dicounting them as they will not be able to sell them for new tractors.

Mike, That sounds like a fantastic deal! I bought a Legacy diesel four years ago and paid considerably more than that for just the tractor with a 48" deck.[:0] The four wheel drive is not needed. I have plenty of traction with chains and 250 LB of weight on the back. The only issue I can think of is whether or not you can attach and run the loader with the deck under the tractor. It is a bit of a pain to remove the mower deck every time I need to attach the blade or snowthrower or tiller or brush cutter. I would love to have a loader that I can use without removing the deck.

• 3 weeks later...
My Friend did get the Legacy Diesel with the loader. He has been mowing the grass with the loader on with the 54" deck. He has ordered and is waiting for the 3 point rear hitch system and the turbo bagger. He likes the electric height adjustment for the deck. He has one question >>> will he get a separate hydraulic lift for the 3 point (currently the tractor has only 1 hydraulic lift lever (the loader is self containted with its own system and levers) or will the 3 point go up and down with the deck?

Mike I'm a bit late on this one, but I'm glad to see your friend got the diesel. From what I've seen since I've been at the dealership, the Kawasaki engines are not that great. They just don't seem to last nearly as long as the Briggs or Kohler. I'll have to check but I believe there will be either a seperate system or maybe a "diverter valve" similar to the smaller Kubotas we sell. You just turn a knob to switch from front hydraulics to the rear on some of them, others have front and rear controls and constant flow thru the piping.

I have the turbo bagger on my 60" deck and love it for picking up the heavy leaf load we have here, it is very strong and effecient. I don't know about the Legacy but my Sunstar has one lift, with a rod going to the rear. What ever is hanging on the back, goes up and down with what ever is hanging underneath.

Sounds like he got a great deal. I just sold my 2002 AGCO 2024 Diesel last Friday. Tractor has 48" Mower Deck, 46" Snowthrower, Tire Chains and weights. Tractor only has 68 hours, yes that's right, 68 hours on it. I "gave it away" for $6,000. The whole package. Realized it is more tractor than I really need. I just bought a 18HP Conquest with 50" mower and 42" Snowthrower.

I have been looking at the Legacy XLs for my new property and the rear three point hitch and the mower are raised by the same hydraulic cylinder. You can pin the three point up when you want to use the mower, and I think you can do the same with the mower. There is one lever for both the front and rear hydraulics, with a toggle switch to control which one is being used.