Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bsggsb

7014S Coil

bsggsb
I have a problem w/my 7014S acting like it is starving for gas after mowing for about 30 minutes. I have new fuel filtered, cleaned, Etc. and i read in a post on here that a guy had a similar problem and it turned out to be the coil. I guess I buy that but that leads me to two questions....First where is the coil located on this type of engine and second....Does this sound plausible? It happens only when it is under load and after it gets hot. I am aware of the Vapor Lock theory but, you cannot change the point at which the line enters the carb...(That is where the most heat occurs so no matter where you would re-route the line to, it must pass that point.) The previous owner(club member) never experienced this problem. I am guessing this may be because my yard is quite a bit more inclined than his. I have tried keeping the tank completely full but that doesn't change the situation. Does anyone think maybe the incline itself may affect the level in the carb and a small Fuel pump would help....I thought of this but then why wouldn't it do it all the time and not just when it gets hot??

Salthart
Do youself a favor. Cut out a large part of the guesswork simply by getting a spark tester from your nearest Briggs dealer. Install the tester and block the hood up or remove it and mow.. See if the ignition breaks down when your miss happens. Sounds more like slow fuel flow to me. In which case I'd drain and remove the tank. Remove the gromet from the bottom of the tank and make sure the screen there is clean. Install NEW fuel line and inline filter. Also make sure the vent in the fuel cap is open..

bsggsb
Thanks for the help but I am still stumped as to why this would only happen sporatically and only after being run for about 30 minutes. I will come down the hill and turn around to go up and when I start and the engine loads up, it starts to starve. When I turn and take the load off it runs fine. I guess however that since I can keep the engine running w/the choke pulled it really cannot be the ignition as it wouldn't care if the engine got fuel or not. It has to be a fuel delivery problem or the choke would not affect it....right?

Dutch
If pulling the choke improves the running that seems to indicate the carb is getting fuel but not mixing and delivering it properly. Check your jets. You could have an overheating problem. Are the engine fins blocked with debris? You'll have to remove the engine to find out for sure.

slb04786
Like Marty mentioned earlier. Check your vent on the fuel cap. As the gas is used from the tank air needs to replace it. If not a vacuum will be created which is like putting your finger over the end of a straw and removing it from a glass of water. Could explain why it only happens after 30 minutes. Takes that long for the vaccum/plugged vent to get strong enough to slow the supply of fuel. When the starvation occurs try loosening the gas cap and see if it starts running smoother. Just my 2 pennies worth and something to think about.

bsggsb
Stan, Thanks. I tried that already. I assumed(oops!!) that it could be an overheating issue but the mere fact that the engine runs w/choke out seems to mean fuel to me. I suppose overheating could cause sputtering but would pulling out choke help if it was overheating? The same goes for an ignition problem. I readily accept that my deduction can be flawed but as far as I know about engines, it has to be fuel. That is why I ask all the smart people here....

HubbardRA
Brian, When an engine overheats, the air-fuel mixture gets leaner - thus the need for choking. Unfortunately you will need to pull the engine shroud to check this out. I rebuilt a B/S 12 Hp that looked fine till I pulled the shroud. A mixture of oil and dirt had the fins on the cylinder completely plugged off. No air could have flowed through that mess. It was like bubblegum, had to scrape it off with a knife. It was hard to remove. Since the engine had no head when I got it, I don't know what the head looked like. If you mow a lot, especially in dusty areas, you should pull the shroud yearly to check for clogging of the fins on the engine and cylinder head.

PeppyDan
If the engine is running too lean on fuel it may also help to cause an overheating problem. This may seem simple, but have you tried opening the main mixture screw up a 1/4 - 1/2 turn. The fuel entering the chamber will actually help cool the cylinder. Pulling the choke out is allowing more fuel in. Dan

bsggsb
Well...., It was a cool day and I took off the hood and mowed, only 1 brief time did she cough. So, it must be heat related. I haven't got the shroud off yet but the engine looks clean otherwise. My dad thinks maybe corrosion on a valve and the valve sticks....could be but I'd rather have it be debris on the fins.

UCD
Take a look at my post "This Is The Reason Why" [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36134[/url] that engine looked real clean on the outside. If you think it might be a sticking valve something you might try with out taking it apart is to change the oil and add a pint of ATF to the oil change and run it a few hours. The ATF will clean the carbon/deposits from the valve stems. After a few hours of run time because it doesn't have an oil filter you should then drain the oil and flush oil pan with a solvent/kerosene/diesel fuel to remove lose debris.

tipspeed
I had the same problem on a 14 HP Kohler. Cleaned the carb, checked float setting, put in new spark plug, checked point gap etc. By pure guesswork I replaced the coil. Bingo! She's been running fine since.