Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gilson?

JR

I know this is a bit o/t, but I have a chance to get an early Gilson tractor in exchange for some repair work. It looks remarkably like an early large-frame AC or Simplicity tractor like the later B series. It even has a horizontal Briggs with S/G. The frame even looks almost identical. I haven't had the chance to look closely, but it appears to have a variable speed lever on the left side of the dash, as well as having a three speed trans. Anybody know anything about these? Looks like a pretty decent tractor, tho I imagine parts would be almost impossible to get these days. Overall, the tractor looks pretty good yet. The deck looks solid. The motor isn't stuck, and I figure it would be worth getting for it and the S/G at least.

I still have a complete 14hp wards built buy Gilson. First glance they look similar to Simplicity built machines, til you go to change attactments, then you grow to love the orange and yellow ones. If its cheap enoughthe S/G and cast iron Briggs make it worth bringing home. The oil pan is different as part of the front axle pivot is cast into it, but oil pans can be found pretty easy in most places of the country.

Most anytime you can pick up some old iron grab it. It may not mean that much to you but that's the great thing about the internet. I'm sure you could pass it on with a profit if it's decnet, rether than parting it out.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GilsonCollectors/ There's a great group of people on Yahoo who own,and discuss Gilsons.I recently sold the one I had,tough machine.Some would say overengineered.