Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

bent sickle bar

dav

I am waiting for Fedex to deliver a part for my 46 inch Simplicity sickle bar. I thought I would get the pieces onto the work bench and get the tools organized. As I put the bar on the bench, I noticed a slight bend in it. Where the 1st and second rock guards on the inboard end meet, there is a slight bend. If I run a string from end to end, I doubt that I would have more than 1/8 inches of clearance at the bent spot. This is right in the area where the drive meets the knives. Should I be greatly concerned about this? I have no idea how much play is allowed for on the bar. If I take the first three rock guards off, I should be able to straighten the bar in a press at work. But I wonder if it's necessary. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

I wouldn't be greatly concerned with a slight bow on a working sickle. But if you already have it apart, why not do the job right and straighten it? Maybe even weld on a strong-back reinforcement.

Dav, I have two bars and both of them have that slight bend in them. It has never affected the proformance any as far as I can tell. Its pretty hard to weld any thing on it as the clearance is such that it can snag on the rock guards. Personally [I] would leave it alone.

Our flex bars on our combines bow all over the place when we are running. If it doesn't really rub hard run it. But if you can press it a bit....might not hurt to straighten it a tad. ken