Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

loader pump

Ronald Hribar

I am relocating the pump for my loader. I will drive it directly off the front Pto. In doing so I will be going to a new pump because of the way the old pump mounts. Another reason is that it has a 7/16 shaft and is hard to get pulleys couplers in that size. However I am confused as to type of new pump I should get. Specifically how much pressure?how much volume?. Someone posted information on this probably 10 months ago.The post stated it was important to get right pump and too big was not a good thing. one thing I am concerned about is rpm. I know that the motor should be running at max for proper cooling. However I am relucant to be shifting forward neutral reverse at full throttle. And I definetely do not like using clutch at that rpm either. I can hear something when i bring pedal back. Perhaps I do not have something adjusted properly. But if I run at half throttle it seems that I am easier on the equipment. Which brings me back to the pump, should i get a bigger pump rated at 4000 rpm and plan on using it at 1/2 capacity? Or as the pump will not be on tractor when mowing, just get a 1800 rpm pump. So i have several questions what is the proper size pump? Am I okay running at 1/2 throttle? Is my clutch adjusted properly?

What model tractor are you doing this to ? I have a AC B110 with a loader and when I use it I try to be as gentle as possible. I am not affraid to use it but I do realize it's capability's. My loader can pick up weight with no problem with the 10 hp running at just more than a idle. I can't tell you about numbers on pumps ( RPM'S or Pressure ) but I hope what I just told you helps. My experience has been that I have never had to give it much throttle to get the needed results. My pump is bolted to a plate that runs across the front of the tractor nose section and is driven by a belt. I don't have any specs on my pump or I would offer them to you. The specs on a AC L-12 loader pump are: pump capacity at 2000 rpm = 1.5 G.P.M., Hydraulic systen capacity = 2 1/2 quarts, System relief valve setting 1500 p.s.i.. I hope some of this info is helpfull, Al

thanks for the information. I have a 17 GTH-L and yes I ran at half throttle and it picked everything I wanted, But my pump is located at side of tractor and is driven by belt. However I was not be able to have hood on when using loader. And as my tractor is longer than yours, the front mount does not fit on front axle.and front pto does not extend past grille to drive pump. And I never looked in loader manual to check on pump specs shame on me.

You gave no info on what you were mouting it on or what the old pump came from. If you have this info you should be able to source the info of the current pump, and select an aftermarket vertion of what you need by this. Most relief valve settings are located inside the spool valve, so pressure is already taken care of. As for flow, these small cylinders don't take much flow, but the more flow the faster the loader will work. Be aware that the fittings and valve have a Range of flow to operate in so don't get carried away with too much flow. 5 GPM should do you a good job, 10 GPM would probably be a bit much at full capacity, but if you run the tractorat half throttle, that should work out about right.

I am mounted a AC L-112 loader on a 17 GTH-l. I believe pump is original to that loader. Does any one have opinions on how to use or not use clutch/brake during loader operation? Should you just use shift lever or should you use the clutch brake also?

You won't have any problems with cooling the engine if operated at less than full throttle. Be careful with the size of the pump you use - as someone already mentioned, the cylinders on your loader don't require a whole lot of flow due to their size. If you go too large with the pump, the loader will cycle way too fast and you may very well run into overheating problems with the hydraulic oil. I, personally, would stick to the original size pump and just run the tractor at 1/2 throttle. I think you'll be fine with that and not risk running too large of a pump. Good luck, Tom

If you're going to buy another pump, in addition to PSI & GPM considerations make sure the pump can be belt driven if that's how you're going to power it. Also, make sure the rotation is correct or that it can be reversed.

Never thought about rotation. I'm thinking of direct coupling to PTO. which way would you say front PTO is turning? When i am facing it it is turning ccw and facing the pump it is turning ccw, if I would diect couple to PTO it would be turning wrong direction.So i would need a new pump. Do i look for cw or ccw pump?

My L10 loader won't even pick up a bucketful, it picks up a good deal, but not a whole bucket. I think my relief valve is stuck, what do you guys think?