Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Honda repower, is 3 amps enough?

PeppyDan

I am currently retrofiting a Honda GX 620(20hp) engine into a 900 series frame. This tractor will have a hydro with hydrulic lift, definitly not electric lift. The engine has the 3 amp charging system on it, although they were also available with a 20amp system. Is 3 amps enough for normal operation including occasional use of the factory headlights, no rear light? This engine has a self substaining ignition system so there should only be draw from the battery on start-up and when the lights are on. I would like to be able to run my 12volt sprayer from time to time but I have other tractors that could do this job. If I do need to jump up to the 20 amp system are these easy to find used and do they interchange from different size Honda engines? Thanks for any info! Dan

2 Strong headlights will pull about 10 amps, and the sprayer will pull (I'm not sure but) a pretty good load being a motor. If you have a decent bat. and run the tractor enough mowing and so forth it won't be much of an issue. Howerver 3amps to charge f you do much cranking won't last long. IMO, use it like it is, get the bugs worked out but be on the lookout for a 20 amp system so when you need it you'll have it.

Dan ,Hope to see some pictures of your tractor on here in the future.Havent got to talk to you since our show a few weeks ago,due to computer problems.We bought a new dell computer so i can post pictures now.Talk latter.

Never did look at the plow. Been back on line for a couple days.Did anybody post pictures of our show on here?I havent been able to find anything on them.

Here is what I've got so far. The engine bay needed the frame modified, this is a single cylinder frame. The cut is no deeper or wider than a twin cylinder frame it is however moved forward about 1 inch. This could have also been the same but I did not check driveshaft lengths close enough.

The Honda engine centerline is 7/8" shorter than a Kohler/Briggs so spacers were needed. Note that the factory holes were used in both the frame and engine so no modifications were needed here.

An adapter was needed to mate the Honda to the driveshaft. I was able to make it on my recently purchased metal lathe. It was then placed on a rotary table in a mill and the holes were drilled as needed. Although not visable in pics, there is a flange for the adapter to locate on the flywheel to keep things balanced & true.

Here is the engine bolted into the frame & with the hood on to check for clearance problems, none found. This engine will look like factory in the tractor with a little paint. The muffler may be a different story!

Very nice looking conversion. The Honda originally powered a generator? Volts x Amps = Watts....... So, 12 x 3 = 36. Just add up your total wattage needs.

Yes, it came off of a generator that went bad from corrosion if it looked anything like the engine when I got it(for free). I had the engine running about a year ago and it ran great! Any ideas if other Honda engines used 20amp systems that would interchange? Dan

According to Honda the GX-620 is available with a 20 amp alternator > http://www.honda-engines.com/gx620.htm Any Honda dealer should be able to tell you what is interchangeable.

I was looking at my 716H and figured it had a 3 amp system, since the headlights are hooked direct. They are very dull, I'm just gonna replace the stator with a 15 and re-wire it. I would like to find a 30 amp stator though.

looks great sure is nice to have the right tools (lathe ect) to make your own parts! Good luck with the rest i am sure that honda will be a heck of alot more reliable than the dog of a kohler ohc/ohv that i have. Nice work