Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Murphy Located

deerhunter

Just incase anyone is wondering of his location, he is alive & well and has taken residence in my shed. I'm very behind in mowing due to all the rain we had last week. On Thursday I got about 1/3 of it mowed and the 7116 decided to start missing very badly. It was about time to got to work so I parked it and waited for the weekend. Saturday it rained all day. Sunday, got 7116 back out still missing very badly, appears to be fuel related. Grass is so high I really need to take advantage of the good weather, so I got out the 716H. She fired right up and I got all of the grass around the house finished without inncident. Had to take wife to the county fair so I decided to cut the lower 3/4 acre on Monday. Today I fired the 716H back up, she cut good for a while then I noticed the deck swing real wide when I made a turn. Somehow lost the hitch pin for the front deck mount. Fixed that. Started cutting, about 20min later I hear slap slap. Looked down and the deck belt broke. Took it to the shed to put the spare on. Found that the idler pulley came loose which caused the belt to break. Put them both in the shed, took a dip in the pool and then got ready for work. Why is it when he shows up he just seems to hang around for a while???

I dunno, But I think he likes it here too. No matter what I cant get the 716H to start. I redid the wiring, changed the plug coil condencer, and I think I have tried every adjustment there is. Sure ticks me off though, concidering I just pulled the motor to change the stator}:). Eventually it has to work out though.

Well Murphy was with me All Day Sunday from Indiana To Michigan, (Not Tractor Related) But everything I did on Sunday Murphy was there From the Tv antenna knob to the Cabinet lock breaking to the inner rear dual Blowing all on my Motor Home I'm sure glad he's gone for now....

He stopped at my place for a short visit early last week. I told him not to bother taking his bags out of the trunk, he wasn't welcome. My son aquired a B112, so he was just going to wash it at my place before taking it home. Points got wet, so had to clean them up. Then still no spark, spark plug end was bad, fixed that. Still don't start, not getting fuel. Tractor had sat for a while before, in this lapse of time the new gas put in the tank had time to swell up the inside of carb (gaskets/debris). Tear carb apart, new gaskets and a good cleaning, and we are running again. Murphy's farewell party was small but enjoyable.

Where did you say he was? His family has been living in my basement for almost a year now. Time to kick 'em out. Who's got room for 'em?

I think he really likes me. He follows me everywhere I go. And I still cant get the 716 sorted out. It will run now, but i go to use it and it quits and wont start. Really getting sick of this:(

Must be something with those great Kohlers. Haven't seemed to have any trouble with three Briggs starting and running Fantastic. Better put a Briggs in that 716 Graham then you can mow for years

I think I have figured out his trick;) It was actually a stupid mistake on my part when re-assembling the engine. I had to pull the flywheel to change the stator to 15 amp, and when i hooked up the coil, i had the positive to negitive and same on the other side. No wonder i was getting gigantic spark all of a sudden. The intake valve was also .15 instead of .10, so thats why it was backfiring out the carb. I was amazed it ran with the coil hooked up backwards. Havent had problems with any other kohlers, but this hasn't run in years. My other 16 fired up nicely when we first got it. I checked the valves and i guess that when i put a good charged battery in it it turns it over fast enough to get the intake closed roughly when it should be. When it turns over slow, the valve dosent close quick enough. That's what I think the problems were. We'll see tomorrow.

Kris, I'm having the oppsite effect. Briggs is running like S*@% and the kohler is running great. From what Grahm is saying I really thinks Murphy is targeting the number 716 is some way. I cleaned the carb on the 7116 and it's better but not perfect. I'm starting to think I may have got some bad gas. I had to go to day shift this week so I can play this evening

Yes, and he still IS. And being such, he knew I would figure him out. So with that, I thank you all for taking him in for a while! Rob