Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Bunky

Ignition Key????

Bunky
On the older keyed ignition switches (700-B series) were the keys all different or were they the same??? And has anyone ever had a replacement key made for one of these???? I have 2 parts tractors that have the original switches but no keys, and wanted to put one in my 725...

goatfarmer
Locksmith should be able to help you.I have a 2110 that had a key broke off in the switch.I was able to retrieve it,and have another made off what was left.It wasn't like any lawn tractor key I had ever seen.

rokon2813
Bob, no they are not the standard indak key. The early ones were different. They are all supposed to interchange, but watch for worn key switches too if you have any made. At one time I had 3 made from the same one. And I had 4 ignitions. Each key would work in 2 or 3 of the 4 but not all 4 and not always the same ones. so it worked out I had a key for each switch, all identical keys but they would not all interchange. I assumed because of the wear in the switch itself. Your best bet would be take the C423 number above and the switch to the locksmith.

gregc
Both my Allis tractors (B207E & Big Ten) use the same key. It's a Briggs key and has C426 stamped on it. I had more made at the hardware store when the key in my Big Ten broke. They used a Cole B5 blank. All my Simplicity tractors, from 1971 up, use the Indak key.

IronPony
In my 78 AC712 tractor, I am using a Snapper key of about the same vintage. I don't know if it is an "Indak" key because I don't know what an Indak key is. But, I have seen the same design on a peg board display at my local Ace hardware store. While deployed with FEMA after 9-11 we had over 100 JD Gators working the "pile" at ground zero and all took the same key. Dan

goatfarmer
Indak key says "Indak" on it,about an inch and a half or so long,with 2 tabs that stick out opposite of each other,and go down to a rounded point.Most modern lawn equipment takes this key.

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by IronPony
In my 78 AC712 tractor, I am using a Snapper key of about the same vintage. I don't know if it is an "Indak" key because I don't know what an Indak key is. But, I have seen the same design on a peg board display at my local Ace hardware store. While deployed with FEMA after 9-11 we had over 100 JD Gators working the "pile" at ground zero and all took the same key. Dan
This could interest some........ > http://www.indak.com/

D-17_Dave
quote:
Originally posted by Allis_B12
Are new ignitions still available? My key somehow got stuck in the ignition (before my time), and it won't come out. The key had the old-style Briggs script on it.
Try some good rust inhibitive spay for a few days and keep working it back and forth. It should work itself out where the tumblers loosen up.